So you think you want to sell soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorymae

Reaction score
I thought a lot about this post. Whether or not I should post this or not and whether it would help anyone. I decided that if it helps one person then it will be worth it.

A little back history on me. I'm 45 and since I was 20 I knew I wanted to work for myself. I was always involved in something and I've owned numerous business. I've sold stocks and bonds, vacuum cleaners, restaurant advertising, air purifiers, and owned a daycare. Most of these businesses honestly did okay, not great but ended after between 3-7 years.

Starting a business is exciting, it is full of possibilities and expectations. I don't want to take that away, but I do want to temper it a bit with reality. What I've learned, what all business owners eventually learn is no matter how much you love what you do it is work. You will face trials, you will face financial trouble and to persevere through these things you need a plan.

First, if you are reading this and think that starting this business will help you make money when you have very little or none you are wrong. This business will cost you money for at least the first 2-3 years. If you can not afford that you will not succeed the way you think you will.

There are two types of business in the crafting industry. The hobby business and a money business. A hobby business will basically pay some of what your hobby costs you. It is also how most people start. There is nothing wrong with this, it is slow and takes a while before you will see money come in. Eventually with a good product and a bit of luck you might be able to step it up to a money business if you wish. If you don't have much capital but love making soap this is the way to start.

The problem I've seen is a lot of newer soapers are really excited about starting a business without considering what the real cost of that business will be. They have the idea of a business but no plan to implement it.

I've said before, "write a business plan" but I'm not sure most people even know what that means. It's hard to do and it isn't fun because it brings the stark reality to light, but it is the single most important thing you can do if you want a business, hobby or money.

A business plan starts with who you are, why you want to do this, how are you different and goes on to how will you do this, who are your suppliers, what is your cost. Continues with what is your market, how do you reach them, what do they want and how do you interact with them? Who is your competition, what do you do better? It should cover what work needs to be done, and who will do it and when. Money is a major part of a business plan, who has it, who needs it, and where is it coming from. What are your resources if you need more money to continue? Private loans? Bank loans? Savings?

There is so much more to consider other than, I can make soap - I should sell soap.

I've had business fail not because of money but because I didn't plan and when problems arouse they were overwhelming and I didn't know how to deal with them effectively. Don't let this happen to you.

So you think you want to sell soap? What's your plan?

Your local bookstore (hopefully a stand-alone, and not a chain :smile: ) has tons of books for starting businesses. Maybe not specifically a SOAP business, but small businesses. Many crafters turn their hobbies into businesses, or want to.

There are some great Dummies or Idiot's guides to all kinds of stuff: writing a business plan, seeking funding, getting started, internet use and stores, etsy, E-Bay, etc. They are worth your time. Even MS Online has templates for Business Plans, Business Proposals, etc.

Also consider your local chamber of commerce. They can be great sources of information. If you start a business, it's definitely worth it to join. Your local Lion's / Rotary / etc. clubs can be helpful. Some of it is about meeting people. Be nice to EVERYONE, they may be in a position to help you someday.

Local colleges and universities often have "community" or "adult ed" classes that run part of a semester in the evenings. They often have "how to turn your hobby into a business" classes. Or things like "setting up bookkeeping for small businesses" and so on.

If you can find a retired CEO type through these connections, they are GREAT resources! They have RUN and built up businesses. They are fabulous mentors, and know things you've never thought of. Finding one of these is a treasure.

If you are female, disabled, a vet, or a minority, (pretty much anything besides "average white male") there are people who want to help you.

But you have to take yourself seriously for them to do the same. So start reading, start learning, and start taking notes for your Mission Statement, Business Plan, Case Strategy, etc. Don't know what those are? Then go find out! All of us started at the beginning, somewhere along the line.

~HoneyLady~

You're so right, Dorymae. It's a very seductive idea, to be in business for yourself. Your own boss. But unless yours is a big business....you're the boss, and everything else! I don't think most people stop to think about what it takes to do it ALL. It's far from easy. I think most of us who are in business for ourselves have had days when we're tempted to throw in the towel, I know I have. More than once. But if you really love what you do, it's hard to let go. And so we hang on. But don't make the mistake of thinking it's easy.

Can I just add one tiny thing? Think about production. I know you love lavender mint, oatmeal, goats milk, orange patchouli, summer breeze, fill in the blank here soap. Think about making lavender mint, oatmeal, goats milk, orange patchouli, summer breeze, fill in the blank here once a week for ever. Exactly the same, every single time.

Can I just add one tiny thing? Think about production. I know you love lavender mint, oatmeal, goats milk, orange patchouli, summer breeze, fill in the blank here soap. Think about making lavender mint, oatmeal, goats milk, orange patchouli, summer breeze, fill in the blank here once a week for ever. Exactly the same, every single time.

AND making the ones you hate (lavender) over and over again because it's one of your top sellers. It's about the customer's wants, not just your own. Gah, I hate the smell of lavender.

All very good points.

I think a business plan is a very useful exercise. However....I have found that all the plans I started out with got blown to the wind. I started out making skin care products using EOs and ended up making Hawaiian B & B products and perfumes. Planned to scale my initial line of products and distribute island-wide but couldn't figure out how to do it and finally realized I didn't even want to! I would much rather sell a wide variety of products online and at craft fairs (I do sell wholesale to a couple of stores but I don't want to expand that because I don't make enough $ and can't make enough product). I could never have planned or predicted this outcome....

I'm definitely with you on crunching the numbers though. I figure out how much each product costs, including packaging and shipping (a biggie here in Hawaii), so I know how much profit I make on each item and can decide what is worth wholesaling. How long it takes to make is in that equation too...

It's been a massive learning curve with many unexpected challenges! But I have loved (almost) every minute of it ;)

I have found that all the plans I started out with got blown to the wind. I started out making skin care products using EOs and ended up making Hawaiian B & B products and perfumes. Planned to scale my initial line of products and distribute island-wide but couldn't figure out how to do it and finally realized I didn't even want to!

If you had a business plan and planned to distribute island-wide how is it that you didn't know how? You can't plan something you don't know. These are the flaws a business plan finds. I am however glad you didn't want to and it worked out.

I would much rather sell a wide variety of products online and at craft fairs (I do sell wholesale to a couple of stores but I don't want to expand that because I don't make enough $ and can't make enough product). I could never have planned or predicted this outcome....
Respectfully, yes you could have planned it. This is why you need to revise your business plan yearly to change with you.

I'm definitely with you on crunching the numbers though. I figure out how much each product costs, including packaging and shipping (a biggie here in Hawaii), so I know how much profit I make on each item and can decide what is worth wholesaling. How long it takes to make is in that equation too...

It's been a massive learning curve with many unexpected challenges! But I have loved (almost) every minute of it ;)

First let me apologize for using your post like this, but it is a great example. Most people really think they planned it out and maybe at first they did actually write a plan. However they omitted too much and so everything changed, but then a new plan isn't written.

I've done this. I hate writing business plans. I mean complete plans. Usually I would get to a part I was unsure about (like how I was going to distribute the way I wanted) and I would just skip it - telling myself I'd figure it out.

You can run a hobby business by the seat of your pants, I'm not saying you can't but you will find yourself so much more productive and efficient if you really follow a plan.

I admit to all here I HATE writing business plans - it's horrible all the thinking and planning and nothing creative in it - just facts. It usually takes me 2 weeks to write mine - even now. However now that I know how incredibly helpful it is, I'm not exaggerating when I say it is the single most important thing you can do to succeed, I do it, and revise it when needed.

I can't make anyone write one, but I can tell you that if you do, and take your time and really do it, you will be more successful than if you don't.

If I won the lottery, I'd open up a little store and donate the proceeds (if any) to charity. I think the part of selling soap and toiletries that appeals to me is being able to make what I want, then being able to find customers to buy it so I can make room for more! Which is not how you run a business, lol.

If I won the lottery, I'd open up a little store and donate the proceeds (if any) to charity. I think the part of selling soap and toiletries that appeals to me is being able to make what I want, then being able to find customers to buy it so I can make room for more! Which is not how you run a business, lol.

Dixiedragon you may not know it but you may have just found your niche. Using your profits for charity would be a very good marketing campaign as well. You would need to work out the details of course - how much of the profit you could afford to give away (and still live and keep the business going) and which charities you would give to... but you know what - I think it's a brilliant idea. If it really appeals to you I would start a plan and see where it leads!

This is good information, regardless of whether one decides to go into bath & body or baking cookies. I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but it may also be a good idea to decide if it is best to have a sole proprietorship or a partnership. If it's the latter, then serious thought should be given about whom one wishes to work with.

Lastly, though it is based on what I've read from an accounting handout, one's business is it's own entity. This means that one's personal money & the businesses money should be seperatly accounted for. Please enlighten me if I'm incorrect on something. Thank you, Dorymae, for the thread.

Great thread!
I have to add if you don't have your time 100% devoted to soap, then don't even try startjng anything.
I work, study, have children and I tried to start selling just as hobby. To maybe cover my costs and if there's any $$$ leftover that would have been even better. But, with all the time I have taken up with other life responsibilities, $1000 product insurance, $1000 public liability insurance and that's per year if I want to sell homemade cosmetics I knew I couldn't do it and that I shouldn't even try. Now I make soap for us, our extended family and I'm happy where I am.
I know of a local lady, who sells soaping supplies (bulk oil), I've been to her house and she and her husband breathe and live soap. Their house is full of supplies, boxes, racks full of soap that's curing, their garage is turned into big soaping station with massive pots, bigg barrels of oils, etc. She made it, she loves what she's doing, her business took of and I'm really happy to see fellow soaper do well. But I can't see myself as her and that's OK, that's my decision for know. But in 10-20 years I might rethink it. ;) Oh and few moths ago they moved into little building they turned into factory and how lovely for them.

All very good points.

I think a business plan is a very useful exercise. However....I have found that all the plans I started out with got blown to the wind. I started out making skin care products using EOs and ended up making Hawaiian B & B products and perfumes. Planned to scale my initial line of products and distribute island-wide but couldn't figure out how to do it and finally realized I didn't even want to! I would much rather sell a wide variety of products online and at craft fairs (I do sell wholesale to a couple of stores but I don't want to expand that because I don't make enough $ and can't make enough product). I could never have planned or predicted this outcome....

But the plan made you think and look at things and investigate and research. Just because you don't follow the plan doesn't mean that creating it didn't teach you valuable lessons, skills, and impart information you used in your new plan.

I'm not going to say you didn't plan it out as thoroughly as you might have, I'm sure we all could, but if we spent all our time planning, we'd never get around to doing.

But to add to this thread, as a business owner, there are times when I seriously just want a nice, steady, easy, 9-5. And these past three months is that time....... And it's not even like sales are bad. I'm doing better than last year, but the stress is extreme.

I know of a local lady, who sells soaping supplies (bulk oil), I've been to her house and she and her husband breathe and live soap. Their house is full of supplies, boxes, racks full of soap that's curing, their garage is turned into big soaping station with massive pots, bigg barrels of oils, etc. She made it, she loves what she's doing, her business took of and I'm really happy to see fellow soaper do well. But I can't see myself as her and that's OK, that's my decision for know. But in 10-20 years I might rethink it. ;) Oh and few moths ago they moved into little building they turned into factory and how lovely for them.

are you in vic? if so, i think i know this lady. my mom did a basic cp class with her a few months back. she lives in donvale, right?

Latest posts

Back