What have you read and what are you reading?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are you a reader? Besides all of those soap books on your shelf, what was the last book you read and what are you reading now?

Last - The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet
Recommended or probably wouldn't have picked up. Glad I did.

Current - Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum Novels) - Janet Evanovich
Light and quick - The one movie stunk, but the books are entertaining.
Also - The EverGlades, River of Grass - Marjorie Stoneman Douglas

I just read 'the lies of Locke lamora' by Scott lynch. I haven't enjoyed a book as much in a long time.

Have you seen the tv adaptation of pillars of the earth? It was really good.

I am about to start reading the night circus by Erin morgenstern next.

I love reading, it's like getting lost for a while in a completely different world.

I just read 'the lies of Locke lamora' by Scott lynch. I haven't enjoyed a book as much in a long time.

Have you seen the tv adaptation of pillars of the earth? It was really good.

I love reading, it's like getting lost for a while in a completely different world.

I find it difficult to watch movies from books I have read or read books after first seeing a movie. I used to be a avid Stephen King fan and that's when I quit watching movies after reading the books. Cujo was my last cinema attempt and to me it was a huge stinker. Movies can't compete with my twisted mind. :grin:

I am a mystery buff. I am reading the Gently Series by Alan Hunter.

This thread might lead to more ereader downloads. Goodie!

Last edited:
I am not much of a Reader but I am reading an e-book on reincarnation!

I'm not sure how many of us believe in it but some cases are really hard not to believe in the theory! I'm an Indian (from India) and I always believed in Karma, and now I definitely believe in reincarnation as well!

I'm a book junky... haven't gotten an ereader yet. Since I've had kids reading is a challenge but lately I've been stuck on the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series. Total brain candy.

I'm a huge huge reader.. but historical romance only. I tried a mystery once and it was ok and my brother broke me down after 6 months of pestering and I ready Harry Potter.. also ok but I wasnt pushed to read book #2+.

If I'm in reading mode I can get through a 300 page book in 2-3 days between work and my 4 kids. Summer break now so it's getting harder to manage. Finished a book yesterday afternoon and started a new one last night. Like soaping it's one of my stress releases and it's been crazy here so I'm soaping tons again and reading like a mad woman when I can. haha!!! My husband always laughs how much I ignore him when I'm reading, but it makes me happier so he lets me soap and read til my hearts content.

I'm a huge huge reader.. but historical romance only. I tried a mystery once and it was ok and my brother broke me down after 6 months of pestering and I ready Harry Potter.. also ok but I wasnt pushed to read book #2+.

If I'm in reading mode I can get through a 300 page book in 2-3 days between work and my 4 kids. Summer break now so it's getting harder to manage. Finished a book yesterday afternoon and started a new one last night. Like soaping it's one of my stress releases and it's been crazy here so I'm soaping tons again and reading like a mad woman when I can. haha!!! My husband always laughs how much I ignore him when I'm reading, but it makes me happier so he lets me soap and read til my hearts content.

I try to explain this to my hubby too! I'd be a lot easier to be around if he'd just let me soap and read more!

I'm in agreement with you that movies often don't live up to the books that they have been made from Dennis. I won't watch a movie if it is about a book I plan to read at some point, I don't mind watching movies of books I have already read though. It's kind of like a shorter, weak reminder of something that was really good, but can never live up to the real thing. However sometimes movie adaptations can be terrible and make me really angry when they have strayed so far from the original. I tried watching Cloud Atlas without reading the book and had no idea what was going on for most of the movie!

Jules - Well sometimes I am known to have a sick stomach for several days.. It's unexplainable and I have to take long bathroom breaks. haha!
You just have to hide your book around the room so they don't catch on to what you're doing. So sneaky and I think my husband is on to me many times. :p

I am also not a fan of movies from books - if a movie is out that everyone loves that is adapted from a book I refuse to watch it till I've read the book. Usually this philosophy has saved my sanity.

I'm an avid reader. I prefer mystery, murder & sex all in one....I love reading Nora Roberts, JD Robb, Sandra Brown, Iris Johansen and many many others. I've always got 8-10 books on my ereader and carry it with me at all times. I read every night before bed as well.

I read so much I often forget the book name and plot lol. Any thriller/horror I can find for free on kindle, I read. Most are pretty forgettable but once in awhile I find a really good author. If you like twisted disturbing horror stories, check out J.A. Konrath

I read mostly non-fiction, so I might get booed off this thread :) I love to read and I consider myself a reader, but since I had my son (who's now almost 5), I have a hard time finishing books.

Right now I'm reading "What To Eat" by Marion Nestle. And last summer I started "Voyage of a Summer Sun" by Robin Cody about his canoeing the entire Columbia River, which I'm going to pick up again soon to finish.

Fiction-wise, I love everything Chuck Palahniuk has written, including "Fight Club". Speaking of books that were made into movies, "Fight Club" is my favorite because the book and movie are very different but they complement each other very well.

I read mostly non-fiction, so I might get booed off this thread :) I love to read and I consider myself a reader, but since I had my son (who's now almost 5), I have a hard time finishing books.

Right now I'm reading "What To Eat" by Marion Nestle. And last summer I started "Voyage of a Summer Sun" by Robin Cody about his canoeing the entire Columbia River, which I'm going to pick up again soon to finish.

Fiction-wise, I love everything Chuck Palahniuk has written, including "Fight Club". Speaking of books that were made into movies, "Fight Club" is my favorite because the book and movie are very different but they complement each other very well.

I am actually a fan of non-fiction as well but still an amature, I might go seek out the above though now..:)

It only matters that you read, not what you read. I think the broader your reading interests the better. That said, one of my favorite reads is "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose and the historical novel "Andersonville" by MacKinlay Kantor.

I haven't read "Fight Club" but did read "Rant: The Oral Biography of Buster Casey" and found it to be deeply weird but irresistible in a twisted way but not as disturbing as "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

I like this thread. It opens new possibilities to explore.

I loved "Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" (Ken Follett). I don't usually like tv adaptations, but really enjoyed "Pillars of the Earth".

For historical fiction/romance (and must be willing to accept some things at face value), I LOVE "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon!!! LOVE IT! Reading the entire series (7 books, approx. 800-1000 pages each) again to be ready for the new release. Never before had I read a book and mourned the loss of the "people" when the book was over. It's like I missed the daily glimpse into their lives. I am an avid reader and will jump genres, but this has been the one for me. I originally only started reading it on my kindle because the first big was a free download. There is a new series coming out on Starz, but I'm really on the fence about watching it. I don't like the male lead that has been cast. He doesn't live up to the person in my head at all.

I read mostly non-fiction, so I might get booed off this thread :) .

Well, you'll get no booing from me, because I read mostly non-fiction, too.
:razz: History especially. That's always been a favorite subject of mine. One of the more entertaining historical books I've finished reading was "Extraordinary Popular Delusions & The Madness of Crowds" by Charles Mackay. It was penned 173 years ago in 1841. It's a pretty large book- 728 pages, not including the index, but it's extremely interesting and highly entertaining (at least the parts that are not so tragic)- and a huge testament to the adage that no matter how much things change, people still remain the same. Although the mass movements and the latest crazes and silly fads that make absolutely no sense are different from those of 173 years ago, we still get duped and/or drawn in and carried away by them just like they did.

IrishLass :)

Now y'all got me thinking. I used to read all the time as a child, but as I grew up I ran out of material because I don't like the popular drama stuff...you know...the cheating spouse, terminal illness stuff. Fantasy genre got to violent (i.e. chapters of battles). I used to read a lot of romance, but lost interest in that too.

I'd love a good adventure...my favorite book of all time was Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara. Never found anything since that was as satisfying.
As the saying goes; Truth is stranger than fiction, maybe I should test out some history, or biographies.

Aside from that, we've resurrected any title by Ruth Chew that the used book stores could conjure up - think we've found a dozen so far. I read the re-released version of "What the Witch Left" to our little one and she's as hooked as I was! What a joy it will be to share this with her!

Oh! And the Goodwill also had Nancy Drew...she scooped up as many as she could hold and said, "Please?" We started on those today. :grin:

Back