Fatty acids and oil substitutions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jade-15

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked & answered! (I did search for 'fatty acid' threads first though!)

If I was looking for a substitute for Palm oil, can I look at the fatty acid profile of palm and then make a mix of two other oils to give the same composition?
For example:
Palm (from soapcalc)
Lauric - 0
Myristic - 1
Palmitic - 44
Stearic - 5
Ricinoleic - 0
Oleic - 39
Linoleic - 10
Linolenic - 0

Now if I search and find
Substitute A which has 20 palmitic, 30 oleic and 5 linoleic, and substitute B which has 30 palmitic, 10 oleic and 5 linoleic...
Can I use equal parts of Sub. A and B in lieu of Palm oil?
Is that how the soap maths works ?? Or are there many other factors not accounted for with these FA's, and am I better off comparing hardness/cleansing/conditioning profiles?

You can certainly give it a try. Just be sure to run your recipe through soapcalc and see if the properties of your recipe are what you are looking for. As effy said too, lard can be subbed for palm.

It depends what the two oils are. You can actually sub Lard for Palm pretty much directly, though.

I know this and have no problems using lard (as a meat eater it makes sense to waste as little as possible, in my mind). I was just pondering this, hypothetically, as I read threads where people don't want to use either...

Just wondered if anyone had thoughts/knowledge on this or if it's something I'll need to experiment with myself. :)

Yes, you can. The soap calculators don't take into account some types of fatty acids (butyric, capric, caprylic for example) and don't account at all for unsaponifiable components in a fat. The calcs also use averages for the fatty acids in each fat/oil. By this I'm trying to say -- don't get too hung up on the fatty acid %'s being a perfect match. As long as you keep in mind the calcs aren't perfect, then go for it!

Back