What are your favorite ingredients for a facial bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunaelurus

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make some facial soap, and I need to work out my oils and ingredients. I'm thinking of adding aloe Vera, carrot powder, Shea or mango butter (don't know which would be preferable) olive oil, coconut, and avocado or grape seed oil. Any suggestions on any ingredients? What are your favorite things for facial? Also, would you prefer avocado or grape seed?

hemp, avocado, grapeseed and rice bran are all nice. However, you have to keep the % low on the first three as they have short shelf life.

Four of my favorite ingredients are aloe, cow's cream, Vit E. and geranium EO. Pureed cucumber is also good in a facial bar.

I've got sensitive skin so my facial bars are very simple with lard, OO, GM and tiny bit of castor oil. No FOs or EOs. While CO is to harsh on my face, thus really simple recipe.
And I prefer avocado oil to grapeseed oil. :)

Can't find my recipe..
(ok, there is a chance I have not LOOKED but well... it's upstairs... and I'm downstairs...)
BUT

I used calendula infused oil, some clay (think it was a mix of red and white), chamomile tea for liquid, jojoba oil and I HP'd so I could add jojoba as my superfat. (Next time I iwll skip this step and save my jojoba for moisteriser, because I do not notice ANY difference!)

When I blind tested friends and co-workers a few years ago, the majority loved the bar with avocado oil. It's since become a favorite of mine, too.

I also love my salt bar with avocado oil... might try avocado in my next lot of facial bars.
Anyway, I found my recipe and it has olive oil, palm, coconut, ricebran and sunflower infused with calendula (only added that for the calendula aspects). Turns out I didn't use chamomile tea but infused my olive oil with chamomile, infused by RBO with thyme and added carrots, lavender EO, pink clay (zeolite) and kaolin (white) clay (at a rate of 1 tsp each clay per kg soap).
10% jojoba superfat (Hot process).

Slightly too cleansing, but beautiful lather and feel (I suspect due to the clay). Next time I will skip the jojoba, possibly try replacing the sunflower with avocado and maybe skip infusing the oils with herbs - I'm interested to see how much difference it makes.

My initial recipe was fairly complicated (by my standards) but as I was attempting to replicate my current cleanser I did it this way first. That way if my skin reacts I can take a guess that I can't use a home made soap and the one I buy is made differently (if that makes sense?) Once I establish that my skin is happy with my version of home made I can play around.

I agree with a salt bar with avocado. Makes it amazing. I generally make my salt bars with 80% Coconut, 15% Avocado and 5% Castor. 20-25% superfat. Love them.

Well, I think I've come up with my recipe finally. Thanks for all the input!
I'm thinking of, olive oil, coconut oil, splitting percentage with avocado/grapeseed oils, Shea butter, aloe for liquid, carrot powder, and orange illite clay for color.
Does anyone know if I should up my liquid, since I'm using powdered carrot and clay? I do think I'll hydrate my clay first, come to think of it. How about the carrot?

I thought oo was a pore clogger and not good for facial soap. All my soaps have oo, and they are wonderful, I keep oo out of my facial soaps though. I could be wrong.

I thought oo was a pore clogger and not good for facial soap. All my soaps have oo, and they are wonderful, I keep oo out of my facial soaps though. I could be wrong.

No its not pore clogging. Oils like mineral oil are pore clogging. There are people who use straight oil such as OO to clean their face (nothing else). This is called the "oil cleansing method". I have met patients who do this method (work in plastic surgery) and they have had absolutely beautiful skin.

I personally LOVE avocado, olive oil, hemp, and goats milk or yogurt for my face.

Last edited:
Lard and OO with 0-1% SF. I have very oily T-zone and don't want to add anything oily to it.

Latest posts

Back