Producer only markets

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicey477

Reaction score
It's getting to be farmer's market season here and in the Washington DC/surburbs area, there are LOTS of markets! Some (admittedly, the "cooler" ones) are producer only. I have done quite a bit of Googling on this topic and I guess because of the generality of the word, I'm not getting too far.

What are some of your experiences with producer only markets, and selling soap or B&b products?

I make sugar scrubs and lip balms (for now), and I do not use bases.

By producer only are you referring to agriculture sales only? Some will let in soap some not. The markets I sell in are farmers at one end and crafters in the other end. When I moved into the farmer end of the market after a year in the craft section I found my sales doubled. At least for awhile they did, farmer markets here are not doing well this year. I much prefer to be with the farmers

Isn't that funny/weird that your sales doubled, wow! I know some are agricultural only, and for example, no bananas or pineapple since they aren't grown locally. But a baker acquaintance who I met at another show told me about a market she did and the contact person, and when I contacted him he said it was producer only. Maybe I am missing something, but my workflow is pretty much like a baker's. And, she isn't growing her own wheat and grinding it down, so like me, she buys her raw materials and puts them together and then packages them.

Have you tried explaining to them that you use market products such as avocados in your soap. I have heard in the Sacramento area soaps are allowed in produce only markets and are not considered crafts

Back