Are beer soaps always brown?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I looked at a bunch of pictures and I saw only one picture of a beer soap that was not brown but it did seem like people tended to use browning FO's as well. If you DON'T use a discoloring FO, can beer soaps be white or just off-white or tan?

They can be lighter if you use a very light color beer and do not add it to the lye. Mix your lye solution and add the balance in beer to the batter after adding in the lye solution and of course use a non- discoloring fragrance

Last edited:
mine is tan. i did a full liquid swap. i'll post pics later on when i get home.

All three of these soaps were made with a full beer swap and without additional colorants. L to R: OO, PKO, castor; OO, PKO, castor, almond; castile. The far left and far right soaps used exactly the same beer so I was surprised by the color difference. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1398004104.689777.jpg

I have some which have turned out tan and I always add lye to the beer/ale. The one which surprised me the most was a batch in which I used O'Doul's Amber Ale. I expected it to be dark brown which it was initially. Then it faded to a dark tan during the curing time. The batches which were dark brown were the ones I used discoloring FOs.

the color of mine looks similar to eyeroll's, the one in the middle with black embeds.

Do you know what the difference was between the two brown ones, Eyeroll? Just the recipe? Strange, huh? Also, the ones that people got which were tan, were they gelled?

I plan to do a 1:1 lye solution and then but the beer syrup and any water needed into the batter. I made one beer soap but I put a touch of vanilla in it so it is dark tan. I absolutely detest beer so I was extremely ridiculously surprised how much I love how the beer soap smells. I can't tell if there is any beer smell really, or if it's the FO's (Black licorice, Orange Peel, a little Vanilla) plus a touch of warmth from the beer or what.

I found a local beer called Bitter Woman. I have to use it, of course, and have some boiled down but not all the way. I'm planning my soap but don't know if it will turn really brown of not, which is primarily why I'm curious.

Thank you for the replies and pictures. I would love to see other pictures of your beer soaps that don't have discoloring FO's so I can gauge my colors.

I made this one with a double chocolate stout, the boiled down syrup was nearly black. Its unscented and it did gel. I boiled 16oz down to roughly 2 oz of syrup, added water to the syrup to get the liquid amount needed then added the lye. Was a 35 oz batch with full water.

2e0lbvp.jpg

r1zrb7.jpg

The 'unscented' brown ale soaps have no color added. I evaporated the alcohol, froze the beer and dissolved the lye in the frozen beer. If you use the beer at room temperature you could get browning from the lye heating the malt in the beer.

brownalesoapsaphroditevanillaunscented1.jpg

Wow, the double chocolate stout didn't get as dark as I thought it might be based on the color in the mold. The finished soap has more of a red tone than I thought too. Nice color.

Okay, that tan color is what I was hoping I might be able to get. I think with a little TD, it might be about what I want.

Thanks you, guys!

Back