Trouble with new silicone molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vuladams

Reaction score
I'm so bummed! I normally use wood molds lined with parchment paper but recently bought silicone molds. Every batch I've made in them I've had trouble with. I think they're overheating or something. I don't know. When I unmold them, everything's fine; but when I go to cut them, the bottom part seems to crumble a little and then I have to reshape them back together. Is this common with silicone? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong...

I would not say soap from silicone molds is more prone to crumbling, per se. They don't insulate naturally like wood molds so if you gelled, you may be getting a partial gel or the corners don't quite make it to gelling. They they can be softer and more prone to pulling off when you are unmolding.

I would try a light coating of mineral oil before you try again. That can help unmold more cleanly. You may have to leave it longer inthe mold because silicone doesn't breath like wood and the soap can stay softer a bit longer. I would also try sticking in the freezer for 30-60 minutes, then running the bottom under hot water and unmold then. Don't cut until it's thawed, if it froze at all. You'll get more crumbles.

Are you using free standing silicone molds or wood molds with silicone liners? If the former, they don't insulate like wood does and it will be harder to achieve a full even gel. Doing CPOP with these molds can be tricky because it's hard to get the temperature just right. Too hot and you can get pock marks along the edges of the mold and bubbles from overheating. Too little, and you get partial gel.

I use silicone liners in wood molds and get the best of both worlds. I insulate but don't use the oven and get consistent results.

If you think you are not getting full gel, putting the mold on a heating pad and covering it can work nicely. You do have to check and get used to what setting and for how long, which can vary with your FO, but I have fewer of the exact problem Judy mentioned using that method versus CPOP, the pock marks and slight overheating. I love the heating pad method for silicone.

i know exactly what you were talking about, sometimes the same thing happened to me with my silicone mold that is similar to crafter's choice 2lb one.

putting it 1st in the freezer helps a lot. the soap came out in one piece, no bits left behind.

I was having trouble reaching a full gel with my 2lb. Silicone mold. Now I use a heating pad set on low, and cover top with a piece of thin styrofoam and finally a bath towel. No more probs! Full gel every time. Also I leave heat pad on for aprox 24 hours.

I have an Upland wooden mold with silicone liner. As mentioned, silicone liners resist gelling, so what I do to insure gel every time is to turn the oven on to it's lowest setting and place the mold in it while I soap. Then I take it out, pour the soap into the warmed mold, and return it to the warm oven, close the door, and turn the oven off. It gels every time. Be sure to check with the manufacturer of your mold to see what kind of temps your mold can withstand. Before I learned this method, I had the same problem you describe. Soap didn't gel all the way to the edges, edges were crumbly and zapped when tested. The heating pad method works well too, I just have a teeny kitchen and need the counter space, so use the oven instead.

I use wood log molds with silicone liners. I never have a problem with partial gel. I also soap at RT. I just pour my soap into my molds and cover with the lid (my husband made my molds so that the BB 5lb silicone liners fit in) and then I just lay a towel over the top. Sometimes it takes it awhile to heat up (2-3 hours) but I always get full gel. I never get crumbling from them either. I also use SL at about 1% now and it does make it easier to unmold after 24 hours.

Thanks everyone. I will try doing the oven the next time since I don't have a heating pad right now. I am getting gel, but I think you're right that I'm only getting a partial gel since it doesn't seem to make it to the edges.

Back