Please send some good vibes my way

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
So, I took my cats in to the vet today to get the normal exam and their vaccinations and some help with fleas. I dropped them off at the animal hospital right next to my work, my first time taking them there.

I just got a call back from the vet. He found a heart murmur with my boy Jack. He wants to do an ultrasound to determine the cause, because apparently with some causes you can give steroids to help, but with others that can be a really bad thing to do.

Problem is, I can't really handle that financially. Jack had two medical crises in late 2012 that drained me, even with friends pitching in. Then last year was a disaster as far as employment goes, which made trying to recover from the vet bills nigh impossible.

Add on top I have major car bills coming up (insurance, registration, and my car will be coming due for its every-30k overhaul instead of the normal oil change). I was planning and had a handle on how to pay for those, but this complication sends those into a tailspin.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not looking for handouts, just emotional support.

My cats are my world, I don't know how I would cope if they were ill and I couldn't afford the bill. I have mine insured which is pretty cheap, only about £16 a month to cover my two cats. My boy cat suffers constantly with uti's and has been catheterised and had overnight stays several times, which fortunately for me the insurance has covered. It might be with trying to insure them if you could afford it as it would put your mind at rest. I'm so sorry for you as this must be heartbreaking. It may pan out that he just has a heart condition that he has to live with with no treatment, both my grandma and my dad have congenital heart murmurs which have no treatment available and my gran lived until she was into her 90's with no treatment for it. Just do the best you can for him, that's all you can do. xxx

I've had a heart murmur for years and have done fine. Not saying that is always the case. I understand that. I would discuss with the doctor what the prognosis is either way and then see what you can do.

I understand that finances can affect what we can do for our "babies" We just bought a house and all 3 of our dogs need their teeth cleaned. They are big dogs so it will be expensive. I'm hoping our tax return will be enough to pay for it!

The vet was really nice about it. He even waived one of the hospitalization fees as a courtesy, since our businesses are neighbors.

The x-ray and ultrasound should be soon, but he wasn't pushing for an immediate lets-schedule-now, because of finances. He did say that they should be done within a month or so of each other.

I've just given my two Frontline, and Jack the first application of this spray the vet wants him to have on his scratching wounds (Vetericyn VF). I also put a cone collar on him backwards, at his suggestion.

It's still going to be dicey. Hopefully I can figure out how to swing it. Luckily next week I'll be working a full week, and have some bonus hours this week and the following week... That, and my tax return might get me through this.

Thank you for your support. My aunt and uncle's dog has a heart murmur. While cats and dogs have different sources for heart murmurs, it's still something that I've seen an animal live with. What scares me the most about it is that he didn't have it before when being checked by vets.

And it was both heartwarming and amusing that two of the nurses/techs at the clinic were playfully fighting over who to help me to the car. (Carrying two cat carriers and the meds would have been a real juggle by myself.) In the end each carried one while I carried the meds. <3 I was definitely getting a good vibe from this place.

Ask if your vet's office will do PaymentBanc. It's not really a credit line, but more an agree to pay over time, with automatic deductions from your bank account. It's pretty easy to qualify, unlike some of the credit places. It won't allow routine things like shots or checkups, but for unexpected vet expenses like illness or injury, it's wonderful. I've used them twice, and it let me split a 1k bill over about 15 months, which was a lifesaver financially.

I'll have to check it out. Another friend also linked me to a medical bills credit card, and both vets I've taken my kitties to are listed on their site as accepting that card.

Ask if your vet's office will do PaymentBanc. It's not really a credit line, but more an agree to pay over time, with automatic deductions from your bank account. It's pretty easy to qualify, unlike some of the credit places. It won't allow routine things like shots or checkups, but for unexpected vet expenses like illness or injury, it's wonderful. I've used them twice, and it let me split a 1k bill over about 15 months, which was a lifesaver financially.

Please think carefully about setting up auto deductions. It would take to much typing to go into the problems I have had with such. Sort version once they have you permission to auto deduct they can continue until you convince them to stop. Don't ask how I know... After filing Federal complaints the investigating officer told me not even a bank can stop them. I have quit all auto pays and online banking. Just to dangerous

I'm sorry about your kitty. my thoughts are with you and your boy Jack. *hug*

The vet was really nice about it. He even waived one of the hospitalization fees as a courtesy, since our businesses are neighbors...
...The x-ray and ultrasound should be soon, but he wasn't pushing for an immediate lets-schedule-now, because of finances. He did say that they should be done within a month or so of each other...
...<3 I was definitely getting a good vibe from this place.

So glad the vet appears to be a good one! Please keep us posted on how the kitty is doing. It's so stressful when anyone in the family, furry family included, has an unknown health problem. I hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about!

And glad that they're working with you on finances too! That's a sign of a caring vet, when they are more concerned about the animal than the money...

Please think carefully about setting up auto deductions. It would take to much typing to go into the problems I have had with such. Sort version once they have you permission to auto deduct they can continue until you convince them to stop. Don't ask how I know... After filing Federal complaints the investigating officer told me not even a bank can stop them. I have quit all auto pays and online banking. Just to dangerous

Sorry you had a bad experience with an unethical company... And were told incorrect info to boot! Wow. A company is required to stop when given instruction in writing saying that you revoke the permission to auto-draft. If you have given that revokation and they do not stop, then the bank can stop payment through their ACH department -- not the regular check stop payment people department thing -- has to be the ACH department, and you have to show that you've revoked permission in writing and that the company is still trying to auto-draft (I also have had dealings with an unethical company in the past).

Fortunately, PaymentBanc is quite ethical, I would not have suggested them otherwise... they have a very nice, simple contract which spells out the exact amounts, the exact dates, and the final date of payment, including the ability to manage online and pay off early, change payment methods, rework the schedule or monthly amounts, or even stop auto-drafts and do monthly online payments if desired. No interest. No extra fees. Nothing like a credit card... Just a managed payment schedule, better than writing a bunch of post-dated checks to the vet's office, which was my previous method of making payment arrangements LOL. My vet hated that... (Sure, I'll take 12 post-dated checks and remember to deposit them on the right day every month for you!) :crazy: Given the option of either setting up some flexible monthly payments or not getting treatment... I'm glad they had it available as an option, since I don't qualify for credit, and it's cheaper than credit too, due to no interest. And the vet's office can also manage the account there in their office if you prefer. Not all vet's offices are affiliated with them though.

Anyhow, was just a suggestion for anyone who might be in a tight spot with their furry family. :)

I feel for you and hope it's not a sign of something serious. One of my cats developed a heart murmur but the vet said it was age. He lived another 2 years after the diagnosis so it's not always a sign of something which is life threatening. I'm not trying to mitigate your concern. I'm just saying it can be age related.

I also understand the car situation and tight finances. I'm in the same situation right now. However, it sounds like you found a great veterinary place. My vet allowed us to set up a monthly payment plan before anything major (that is expensive) but we've been going to him for years. (He was our vet when I was a kid and he just retired 2 years ago.) It wasn't auto deductions. One of us would just stop in once a month and make a payment. Since you're neighboring businesses, perhaps they would be willing to set up a payment plan for you.

(((hugs))) from me too! Our senior dog has a heart murmur and I completely understand your situation. The meds we buy for him every month are killing our savings but we love our dog too much not to buy them and then there's the regular blood work and xrays to ensure the meds are dosed correctly and his blood levels are fine.

It's hard .. because it's not going to cure him, it's only delaying the inevitable.

My hubby and I have talked and talked about it and while we won't stop buying his meds as long as we have a dime to our names, we've both shamefully admitted it will be a financial relief when he passes. We're also constantly worried that some other financial crisis might come up that would force us to make a decision to "buy or not buy" the dog's meds.

For now, we carry on and enjoy every minute we have with him and he is oblivious to all the worry. Thank God the cat is healthy.

There. Just sent you lots of helpful and positive vibes and a few hugs too. (And some snuggles for your cats!)

I've been in similar situations over the years with my cat and always felt like such a loser when it was a struggle and a sacrifice to give her the medical care she needed. After reading this thread, I realize that it is a common situation for many people, not just me.

Heart murmurs in cats can be funny things. Sheba had one that came and went. It took 4 vets and 2 years to determine for sure if she had one, we were lucky it was very mild.

I truly hope that you'll be able to find a way to work this out.

I feel your pain.

Pet Health Insurance is a godsend. I have it for my boy. It has paid for itself for years to come. I have a high money plan, but it's $280 a year, a $250 Deductible then I pay 20%, $10,000 per incident with $150,000 lifetime payout. There are other plans that don't cost as much, but my cat seems to be high maintenance and we have gotten back more than we've paid in since we got the plan. I'm hoping I will be able to drop his plan to a lower fee plan soon, but he still comes up with random illnesses that need to be addressed and he's 5 years old.... He's purebred Himalayan, with chronic eye issues, asthma and now cystitis. 6 months after I rescued him he got a blockage. That was my first insurance payout.... I love him tho, and I love that I never have to choose between getting him care and rent.

There are plans that will insure cats of any age, if you are thinking that it might be cost prohibitive for an older cat.

I'm short on time right now, but look into the organization imom. Google them. Did anyone mention care credit?

So sorry about your kitty troubles. If it makes you feel better my kitty had a murmur and she was just fine. In any case, I couldn't have afforded vet bills myself at the time because we were finishing paying off about $50,000 in medical bills for one of our children. Sometimes hard choices have to be made and limits have to be set. I hope things work out for you and your kitties. Keep us informed :)
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Well, the results from the stool test on Cleo came back yesterday (I only just got a sample from Jack today, and will take that in after work). Cleo is free of internal parasites! At least that's good news. Jack is hating the spray I'm supposed to put on his scratches, though he's not fighting me as much on it as he did at first.

Back