Aloe in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyPickles106

Reaction score
For those of you more experience than I in soap making when and how much aloe can you use in soap? Does the soap become more gentle/mild because of it?

A lot of people use aloe juice, which you can buy at Walmart. It's 100% aloe but it's watery, not the gel. You can use it 100% of your liquids or just do a partial substitute. Some people feel it increases lather and makes the soap nicer. Some say they can't tell any difference.

I have used aloe gel in soap, but usually use aloe juice as just about 15% of the liquid and add it at thin trace.

Cmzaha when using the plant which I should have stated I was interested in do you strain it after purée? I was given a Aloe plant by my mother-in-law and was hoping to use it for a soap I plan to make for her. Do any of you use any scents with Aloe or does it add it's own scent?

Thanks all regarding your responses. I really appreciate everyone's willingness to answer questions and share your experiences.

Cmzaha when using the plant which I should have stated I was interested in do you strain it after purée? I was given a Aloe plant by my mother-in-law and was hoping to use it for a soap I plan to make for her. Do any of you use any scents with Aloe or does it add it's own scent?

Thanks all regarding your responses. I really appreciate everyone's willingness to answer questions and share your experiences.

I filet thae aloe put it in my blender with some fruit fresh or citric acid and puree it. The citric acid is added so it does not turn pink. I do not strain mine but it well. The type aloe I have will stay thick and show up in the soap which is what my customers like. They get to see the aloe that shows up in tiny specks. Some species of aloe will be more watery and will not show up in the soap, but still work good. I also do not add the aloe to my lye water since it will turn yellow and actually cook the bits a little. My lye solution is made 50/50 water:lye then I use the aloe for the remaining liquid, or use an aloe/milk mix. I just fragrance with any fo I want and have tried an Aloe fragrance from Soapsupplies.net, which is very nice but was not a good selling fo for me. The Aloe can weep a little in your soap, depending on how chunky it is, but will absorb in as it cures. I do not waste my time with store bought aloe juice because I think it only really adds label appeal, since I bet most of it evaporates out.

May I ask how much fruit fresh or citric acid to aloe ratio you use? The only aloe juice we have at our Walmart isn't 100%. It's like 98% and something else like a preservative probably. Sorry to chime in with a question in your thread. I'm glad you asked about aloe.

Thanks one more question - what do you mean by 50 /50 lye/water?

May I ask how much fruit fresh or citric acid to aloe ratio you use? The only aloe juice we have at our Walmart isn't 100%. It's like 98% and something else like a preservative probably. Sorry to chime in with a question in your thread. I'm glad you asked about aloe.

I mix my lye with equal parts of water. example 9 oz lye to 9 oz water. You have to stir longer to make sure it is all dissolved. If your recipe calls for 5 oz lye you would use 10 oz 50/50 lye solution. I then deduct the original amount of lye needed for my recipe from the water requirement to get the balance of the necessary liquid. I am sure someone can explain this better than me. A teacher I am not...
I do not measure my citric or fruit fresh, just sprinkle some on to help stop the fresh aloe from turning pink. LOL, this is also how I cook!! A pinch here and a sprinkle there

I did not clarify that I am making a couple of gallons of lye solution at a time. If making it to use for 1 batch of soap I just mix equal parts water and lye and wait for it to cool

Last edited:
What is the advantage of using equal water to lye versus the amount suggested in soap cal?

What is the advantage of using equal water to lye versus the amount suggested in soap cal?
By using mixing your lye with equal parts water you can add in the balance with purees, teas, milks etc into your oils either before or after adding in your lye solution. It is easier to add in a half ounce or more water for your lye. It will dissolve better and easier. Just deduct the total water from your total water amount in soap calc and use purees or milks for the balance of liquid, if using milks I add in the cold milk after the lye is mixed in my oils.

Thanks I'm still testing different oils. Purée' sand milk, honey and all the things that scorch make me practice more before trying them.

I made a wonderful Aloe soap with all juice. I colored it with nettle leaf and used sandalwood f/o. I love it! It is so mild and it smells fabulous.

For me personally the advantage is in making a very simple masterbatch in larger quantities ahead of time. I do NOT use a 50/50 full strength solution in my soaps, I add the additional liquid (water, tea, milks, beer, etc) called for in a recipe or according to soapcalc to my solution before soaping. I use "full water" to soap, I only use the equal water to lye ratio to masterbatch.

Note: If you want to masterbatch, make sure you weigh it all carefully, the container the lye and the water. Some water can evaporate away and you are left with too little water to hold your lye.

I appreciate all the information but plan to do many small batches till I find my favorite recipes. Then I can move on to colors, fragrance, swirls and so forth. So much to learn and so little time off work to practice.

Latest posts

Back