Candle Colors Suggestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on who has the best dyes for candles. I was reading NG reviews and people said theirs are ok but they smell really bad but once they put the fragrance in the smell is covered. I am just afraid that once the candles are burning the smell will come back through.

Thanks!

I don't know about candles but I know the smell doesn't come through with tarts. Yes, the colorants do smell nasty but they're so concentrated that you don't need much to color wax. I don't remember how much I used but it wasn't many drops (maybe 8 or 10) to get a deep chocolate brown in approximately a pound of wax.

I recently bought yellow candle dye from Aroma Haven/Rustic Escentials and it also has an odor. I think the odor is from whatever ingredient is used to make the colorant able to dye wax. I'm guessing but I bet most if not all wax colorants are going to have an odor.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will see your question and give a definite answer. If you don't see another response in a day or two, you could bump this topic to take it back to the top of the 'Today's Posts' index.

Thanks Hazel. I went ahead and got LoneStars sample kit which is the blocks.

I'm sorry I couldn't help. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the blocks since I've never used them. If you are willing, please post and let me know how they worked out. Plus pics of your candles would be a bonus. :grin:

I'm sorry I couldn't help. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the blocks since I've never used them. If you are willing, please post and let me know how they worked out. Plus pics of your candles would be a bonus. :grin:

I only used it so far on one batch of votives. I had about 20oz of wax for them and barely used any. I shaved a little from two different blocks and got a perfect color. Melt so easily as soon as they hit the hot wax. It is hard to determine looking in the pot of wax the final color so I would drop and couple if drops of the colored wax on a white paper plate until I got the color I wanted.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1397699064.459158.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1397699082.227628.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1397699092.064152.jpg

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know about not having an odor. I'll have to try block color next time I order. Of course, I use so little and don't make tarts very often so it will be a long time before I have to re-order.

I use colours in my Soy candles in Jars. Yes the liquid Colour does smell but it disappears. I use both Liquid and blocks.
I find the liquid easier but some of the colours say Lime, its a different colour in the block to the liquid. I find the block easier in melts
as the liquid is very concentrated and I only need a bit so the shaved block becomes handy.

I am in NSW Australia. I buy from Candle supply Rhodes NSW or All Australian Candle making nsw. both on the web.

I wanted to let you know that is is possible to color candle wax with powdered soap pigments, oxides, and mica. This is only possible if they are oil dispersable colorants. You can mix your color with melted stearic acid and then add to your melted wax. I would recommend only doing this for wax melts.

Thanks for the tip! I've been able to add mica to wax melts without using stearic acid. It does tend to settle a bit which isn't an issue for me since it still looks good. However, I'll have to try stearic acid to see if the dispersal is more consistent.

Back