Gent's Minion Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
Over in this thread ..

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=43817

Our very own Effacious Gentleman said
Great work! But I can see Minion Soaps being made by someone very soon......................
Which sounded to me like a challenge so the squirrels in my head started running on their wheels. .. and .. I have begun pouring the Minions. For various reasons I don't expect to have them finished until ... maybe the end of the month .. so don't expect pics any time soon!

Anyone care to join me in a Minion challenge?

minion.jpg

Nice one Dennis ..

So .. I've already got a Minion maelstrom going .. holy crappers!

When you think you have a plan and all hell breaks loose, said plan goes flying out the window. I thought I would only need a little mix of two colours for what I had planned today so I decided I would make some nice swirled salt bars with the balance of the mixture. I mix, I divide, I colour .. I pour 1st colour .. I pour 2nd colour and suddenly I am all out of mix but the mold for 2nd colour is only 1/2 full .. ARGH!

In a panic I'm hurriedly mixing more of 2nd colour and deciding that now I'm going to have tons of batter left so might as well mix more of 1st colour while I'm at it and still make the salt bars in the end (one really should not bite off more than one can chew :oops:)

Get things done and fill mold for 2nd colour but ... but ... but .. now it's all gone again and I have a 1/2 batch of 1st colour with nothing to swirl it with. Good grief .. throw in the scent and guess at the salt (since I obviously don't need all of it anymore) and pour the bars anyway ...... wayyyyy too much colour in these bars and black of all colours *sighs*. The bars will stain, taking the premise of "black face" to a whole new level.

Can you rebatch salt bars? Where did 2nd colour all go? I have a sneaky suspicion I missed taping some cracks and it ran under my blockades and the "plan" didn't work the way I thought it would. Won't know until I unmold.

Taking a much needed breather and trying to find my wits ... I think I threw them out the window with the plan.

Last edited:
obsidian made a thread about rebatching salt bars. from what i can remember, it's not recommended.

Nope, can't rebatch salt bars. You can grate them and add the powder to new soap though. What are you using for a minion mold? A canoe pan would be perfect but I don't think they come in silicone or plastic.

Black trimmings for the hair, pour a bit of yellow, place the eyes. Pour a bit more yellow. Place 2 vertical blue rectangles for the straps, then pour blue.

Tricky as the devil to actually do though.

ooo .. can't share my secrets YET. Will share all after everyone's done. It would be too easy for you all if I shared now OR your brilliant ideas might start my squirrels running in the other direction.

Have mine technically done .. my delay is that I have some personal business outside of soaping taking me away from home and can't finish them just yet. Once I had the plan thought out it was easier than I expected.

There's an awful lot of people looking at this thread but not a lot seem to be joining the challenge .. hmmm????

Come on folks, there is no fail in soap. If stuff doesn't turn out it's still soap. Play .. attempt .. you have to walk before you can run.

Everything you do is a learning experience so jump in .. give it a try .. don't be shy!!!! Use your imagination too. It doesn't have to be a literal Minion .. it can be an artistic representation!

If I didn't have so many backorders to catch up on I would! That and I have to order some more dyes.. I am limited at the moment

Nope, can't rebatch salt bars. You can grate them and add the powder to new soap though. What are you using for a minion mold? A canoe pan would be perfect but I don't think they come in silicone or plastic.

Sorry to dispute this but you can rebatch salt bars and I have done it by rebatching in the oven. (I do not rebatch in crock pots). They will not be as nice but all the salt is still there. Like anything soap, things do not always go as planned or what works for one does not always work for another. Just have to try and see if it works for you.

Back