Soapwort

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwolf

Reaction score
So it's spring again which means the obnoxious soapwort is starting to pop up again. Luckily this year I have a use for it now that I am soaping. So can anyone clear up how I use the stuff. Should I use the root or the leaves? Should I dry the plant matter or use it fresh? Should I make it into a tea and add lye to it? Any advice would be appreciated.

I found this on the internet as I have recently(you people are a bad influence) become interested in adding this to my soaps:

"A soap can be obtained by boiling the whole plant (but especially the root) in water. It is a gentle effective cleaner, used on delicate fabrics that can be harmed by synthetic soaps. The best soap is obtained by infusing the plant in warm water."

http://www.altnature.com/gallery/soapwort.htm

Thank you susie and elm what I found was roughly the same, boil small pieces of root in hot water fresh seems best but can be dried as well. If using fresh leaves use a rolling pin to break down the leaves a bit. Careful planting the stuff it's pretty invasive.

do you add it before lye? Batch you mean a pound of oils or more?

I mix it with some water (it's maybe a liquid paste consistency) and then add it either to the lye solution or to whatever container that I know it won't mess with the color. It's a bit of a yellowish color so beware when using other colorants.

It does not matter to me the bubbles but my family seems to like the bubbles. My grandchild especially. I do not sell I make soaps , creams, lotions, for my own amusement and have a lot of benefits at the same time. I make also some fantastic salves. Works as a pain killer; tested on a few people already:)) Thank you elm. my soap is usually 700 grams which is 1.5 pound. I can not think in pounds I need the grams :)
I will try 1tsp for the beginning. I add sugar also:)

I am using modified Obsidian shampoo bar with soapwort and the bubbles are incredible even with only 5 % of CO:)

Back