Blending Ideas...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been hitting a wall with blending ideas for my EO's.

I currently have:
Lavender 40/42
Pink Grapefruit
Patchouli (dark)
Peppermint
Fir Needle
Eucalyptus Globulus
Tea Tree
Lemon
Rosemary
Bergamot
tiny bit of Sweet Orange

Really want to get:
Anise
Lemongrass
Spearmint
Litsea
Pettigrain

First question - what would you blend with what I have?

I have done a Lavender, Rosemary and Patchouli blend - very nice. Also been toying with Pink Grapefruit and Fir Needle - my q-tip test is yielding a nice result so far.

Second - what am I missing to make some great blends?

Thanks for any advice.

3 parts orange:1 part patchouli
2 parts grapefruit:1 part lavender
2 parts peppermint:1 part rosemary
2 parts lavender:1 part fir needle

If you get petitgrain, it goes nicely with orange. Anise I'm not sure about, I've never had success blending it... Lemongrass is nice with patchouli, maybe 2 lemongrass:1 patchouli. Depends on how much you like patchouli :p Patchouli is superb with any citrus oil. Then again, anything is superb with any citrus oil! Tea tree is kinda hard to blend aromatically. It's just "tolerable" with grapefruit, imo.

I recommend getting cinnamon bark or cassia (cinnamon bark smells way better than cinnamon leaf, but is pricier, cassia is the cheapest option), peru balsam (sweet, warm, kinda syrupy vanilla/benzoin scent), and lime. To be honest, I recommend just stacking up as wide a variety of citrus oils as possible, they're so versatile :) Cinnamon is really nice with orange, or just to add a warm quality to any blend. I personally don't have peru balsam (yet!) but my sister does, and she's shared & let me experiment with it a bit. It's really nice to add a vanilla smell to a blend without spending a fortune. Try 2 parts patchouli:1 part peru balsam.

May I ask where you get your essential oils?

Last edited:
I like 2 grapefruit: 1 rosemary.

I also like anything with lemongrass. Patch & lemongrass is great so I'd think patch & lemon would be pretty nice too.

3 parts orange:1 part patchouli
2 parts grapefruit:1 part lavender
2 parts peppermint:1 part rosemary
2 parts lavender:1 part fir needle

If you get petitgrain, it goes nicely with orange. Anise I'm not sure about, I've never had success blending it... Lemongrass is nice with patchouli, maybe 2 lemongrass:1 patchouli. Depends on how much you like patchouli :p Patchouli is superb with any citrus oil. Then again, anything is superb with any citrus oil! Tea tree is kinda hard to blend aromatically. It's just "tolerable" with grapefruit, imo.

I recommend getting cinnamon bark or cassia (cinnamon bark smells way better than cinnamon leaf, but is pricier, cassia is the cheapest option), peru balsam (sweet, warm, kinda syrupy vanilla/benzoin scent), and lime. To be honest, I recommend just stacking up as wide a variety of citrus oils as possible, they're so versatile :) Cinnamon is really nice with orange, or just to add a warm quality to any blend. I personally don't have peru balsam (yet!) but my sister does, and she's shared & let me experiment with it a bit. It's really nice to add a vanilla smell to a blend without spending a fortune. Try 2 parts patchouli:1 part peru balsam.

May I ask where you get your essential oils?

AustinStraight - wow, great suggestions. My first big EO order was from NDA so that is most of what I have. Been planning another order and definitely have a few new ones to add now, thanks!

Is clove better as an EO versus FO?

I like lavender with tea tree. I use this in an oatmeal lavender bar.

Another of my favorites is peppermint with tea tree. This combo started my soap making journey--I began trying to re-create a tea tree soap from Nature's Gate!

Lastly, a nice cooling bar is spearmint with peppermint. The spearmint gives the peppermint a sweet smell. It is very pleasant.

I write down blends whenever I see them ..... have yet to try most of them, but here's a few that I have tried and liked.

Lemon
Eucalyptus
Peppermint
3:1:1

3 parts lemon / 1 part lavender OR.... 3 parts lavender / 1 part lemon

Lavender
Eucalyptus
Peppermint
3:3:2

Today, I am trying one called "Awesome" 1:1 lemongrass & peppermint. I just got lemongrass and am anxious to try it.

I've never tried a clove FO, sorry! The EO is good enough for me :)

I'm really glad you said that cause I was really on the fence about that. The only time I've used clove was from a fancy shop and it was lovely but I'm pretty sure it was just an FO. This was long before I even really started soaping and thought about where they came from or I would have asked. I also spent way too much on that I realize now that I'm buying wholesale.. :???:

So many great suggestions, I am sure to hit the $100 minimum at NDA now... :)

Thank you all!!!

I did a small blend to test some pink grapefruit with a couple different scents and I have to say I'm totally sold on Pink Grapefruit and Fir Needle. Strange, huh? I think I have to give it a try at maybe a 2 pink grapefruit, 1 fir needle.

I like this one recommended in Catherine Failors liquid soap book. She credits Bill and Trina Wallace for "Sea Breezy" which is 2 parts eucalyptus, 2 parts lemongrass (I subbed Litsea cubeba) and 1 part rosemary EO

Been hitting a wall with blending ideas for my EO's.

First question - what would you blend with what I have?

Second - what am I missing to make some great blends?

On the first question I like equal parts orange, lavender and bergamot.

On the second question, I could not live without some type of cedar, and also ylang ylang. I also use clove and the cassias, and they are not expensive. I will hold back now because you are already spending a lot of money.

If you happen to have any litsea it will really kick up the lemongrass. I cannot live without litsea (May Chang) and it is not expensive

That sounds like a nice blend! What ratios would you suggest?

I recently did a blend lavender/rosemary/cedarwood (in oz I did .5/.4/.3). it's AMAZING. one of my fav blends so far.

I recently did a blend lavender/rosemary/cedarwood (in oz I did .5/.4/.3). it's AMAZING. one of my fav blends so far.

Yummmm... that sounds lovely. Again, possibly an alternative to my lavender/rosemary/patchouli - I like it but I bet cedarwood would really kick up the scent layers a bit.

I know this post is way past due but I finally placed my EO order today - ordered from both Liberty Natural and NDA:

On its way...
Peru Balsam
tiny bit of Cardamom
Lemongrass
Clove bud
Anise star
Spearmint
Key lime
Litsea Cubea
Orange 5 fold
Cinnamon bark
cedarwood