Moroccan soap / Soap beldi

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is a soap-based pasty black olive paste and olive oil consistency. Its function is to release dead skin cells and moisturize. Used together with a glove touch granular called kessa used to exfoliate.
Traditionally used in a hammam through several rooms where during the first 15 'skin gets used to the heat in the next 25' and hotter and sweat pores open and the third less heat to lather.

Recipe:

• Virgin Olive 800gr
• Beaten black olives 200gms
• Water 456gr
• KOh 152gr

marr5.jpg

marr6.jpg

marr7.jpg

I was just reading about beldis! This sounds really interesting. How do you use it at home if you aren't near a hammam?

I was just reading about beldis! This sounds really interesting. How do you use it at home if you aren't near a hammam?
I'd like to explain but my English is poor. I have a maual for this soap and how it is used, I hope you help the operators of this forum ...
This soap is often used alongside ghassoul floral waters and preparing a paste to which may be added a few drops of vegetable oils such as argan, habba sawda, aker Fassi, rose oil and also flowers, essential oils, floral waters, siwak , kohl ... With all that clean, exfoliate, activates cell regeneration, smooths the skin, is soothing, anti-acne and anti-inflammatory
But this soap is used in Moroccan Hamman with specific steps. We can do it at home.
I'm waiting for an operator to help me here and speak Spanish and translate it ... :(

Beautiful .. I've been looking for a proper recipe for some time now. I originally started making soap because I was trying to make Beldi to use in Tadelakt plaster.

I found this link http://wikitalks.com/2013/06/moroccan-black-beldi/ but I didn't think that was the right recipe. Thank you very much for sharing this with us. I'm very excited to try it.

Last edited:
Beautiful .. I've been looking for a proper recipe for some time now. I originally started making soap because I was trying to make Beldi to use in Tadelakt plaster.

I found this link http://wikitalks.com/2013/06/moroccan-black-beldi/ but I didn't think that was the right recipe. Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

NOOO!
The beldi soap: it's just a paste of olives crushed The olives take a week in water. Every day you have to change the water and so it is easy to remove the bone
You after that mass of meat olives, grind them

This soap is Moroccan! it has only : KOH, crushed olives and wáter:

NOOO!
The beldi soap: it's just a paste of olives crushed The olives take a week in water. Every day you have to change the water and so it is easy to remove the bone
You after that mass of meat olives, grind them

This soap is Moroccan! it has only : KOH, crushed olives and wáter:

Thank you so much. I really want to try this. When you measure the weight of olives is that the weight after they have the pit/bone removed and are ground?

aggg!! I struggle and I put all my intention but turns kill me!
The Spanish is more extensive. Here spoken many infinitives! look like a Sioux Indian :):):)

You are doing very well. I understand you.

Let's see how this goes

cuando pesa los 200 gramos de aceitunas, ¿usted peso les con la piedra en o después de haber quitado la piedra y los puré de?

I marinate olives 6 days and I changed the water every day. Then it was easy to remove the bone squeezing between the fingers. The mass weight is pitted olives

I have never heard of this soap, but by golly, I love the look and colour of it. I have a sauna and might give this a try. The thought of what I might look like, sitting there all smeared in with this stuff from head to toe makes me chuckle. I'll bet I'd look and feel just like a squishy little tar baby! LOL Soaping can be so much fun. :lol:

Thank you so much for the recipe, Pilar!

This looks really interesting, thank you for the recipe and thank you for persevering with the English. Unfortunately I am lost with Spanish, I can do french and a bit of German but no Spanish at all.

I may have to give this a go if I can find a big enough quantity of cheap olives, they are quite pricey here.

Well for anyone interested in making this here's my experience. I came to SMF because I was looking to make this soap in particular. I was not (then) making soap but was making Moroccan Tadelakt plaster and you use this soap to cure the plaster. It's super expensive to buy so I thought I'd make my own. I found a recipe on the internet but it didn't match the ingredients on the product I was buying so with the help of members here and soap calc I mangled a recipe together. According to Pilar what I made is not "real" Beldi because it didn't have the olive meat in it, so technically I made a Castille paste.

It is FANTASTIC but, just like Castile bar soap .. there is little lather, some people might call it slimy .. I think smooth or slick instead. I love the soap I made. My skin is very dry and prone to pimples but since using this soap I have not had one pimple and have stopped using moisturizers. It leaves my skin squeaky clean but not dry and no oily film in the bath tub. I also feel my skin tone has evened out and my normally tomato red face is more of a calm pink now!

I used 100% OO and KOH, water at 35%, superfatted at 8% and I did not cook mine to finish, I stopped at beginning gel and and let it cure in the airtight container the way it was suggested. It is technically a liquid soap due to the KOH but doesn't follow 1/2 the liquid soap rules. It didn't need to be neutralized, wasn't diluted with water to make liquid (although it could be), isn't cooked to finish (although it could be).

DeeAnna, both Pilar and Roberto's recipes have a LOT of water in them .. 50% or more?? I had to enter 25% lye to get numbers close. We also don't have black olive meat in our soap calc so I'm uncertain how that works into the recipe. Maybe you have some thoughts on that?

I am very excited to try Pilar's version with the olive meat in it. I plunked some numbers into soap calc and to get near her numbers I used 800 g of OO, superfat 3%, lye 25%. I'd love to hear your feedback on those numbers and how the meat fits in.

I think I'm finally getting close to the purist Beldi I came here to learn.

Last edited:
"...DeeAnna, both Pilar and Roberto's recipes have a LOT of water in them .. 50% or more?? I had to enter 25% lye to get numbers close. We also don't have black olive meat in our soap calc so I'm uncertain how that works into the recipe. Maybe you have some thoughts on that? ..."

6/5/15 edit:

I originally wrote: "...I'm not quite sure I'm following you about the water thing. All I can offer at this point is that a KOH solution requires at least 2.5 parts water to 1 part KOH, and quite a few recipes go 3 parts water to 1 part KOH. KOH needs that much water to dilute properly. Does that seem to address your concern?..."

Please ignore the original version. I was wrong. Here is a corrected explanation: Most KOH soap recipes use more water than NaOH soap recipes. The usual goal is to make a soft, sticky soap paste, not a stiff, dry-feeling gel. To get that paste consistency, I'd use 3 parts water to 1 part KOH (25% solution concentration). Two parts water to 1 part KOH (33% KOH solution concentration) is pretty much the lowest water content I've seen, and that usually forms a firm, dry gel that is more difficult to work with. From the pictures I've seen of beldi, it looks like a soft spreadable paste, so I'd use the 3:1 water:KOH ratio (25% water concentration).

Back to my original post:

As far as the olive oil in the olives, yes, it would increase the superfat some. If your olives come packaged with a nutrition label, that would be the place to start. (My husband doesn't "do" olives, so there's none in the house.)

A fast check with Google: "One cup of olives, about 135 grams, supplies 155 calories of which 130 calories are supplied by fat." At 9 calories per gram of fat, that translates to 15 g of fat per 135 g of olives. For the 200 grams of olives I think Pilar used, the fat in the olives would be 15 g fat * 200 /135 = 22 grams, approx.

If the olives end up being very, very fine bits in the beldi, as it looks like they do, I might assume most or all of that 22 g ends up saponified. If the bits are coarser, I'd guess some of the oil inside the larger bits would not saponify.

Another point, as I think about this -- I'm not sure how much oil might be lost from the olives during the soaking and such. Some? None? You'll have to make some good guesses!

Last edited:
OH MY GOD ! I just got a little happy :D Thank you so much for posting this !!!! So cool !

Here is a silly question... anyone try this with NaOH? I ask cuz I dont have KOH at the moment.

Here is a silly question... anyone try this with NaOH? I ask cuz I dont have KOH at the moment.

Not a silly question at all but using NaOH would defeat the purpose. This is meant to be a paste and NaOH would make a hard bar of Castille soap.

There are Castille threads if you want a hard bar and there's a ton of info and various methods everyone used.

Back