Pomace Oil vs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am considering switching from Extra Virgin Olive Oil to Pumace Oil which is a less filtered Olive Oil and used for soap making. Please comment if you've switched or are currently using the pumace oil. It is less costly then Virgin Olive Oil which is why I'm considering the switch. :idea:

I haven't tried pomace OO, but I wouldn't consider it 'less filtered'. How they make it is they take whatever pulp is left after they extract the virgin and light olive oils, and then they treat it with a bunch of chemicals to get out every last bit of oil that's left. It's the oil that's furthest from the whole, untouched olive, and is considered the lowest in quality, which is why it's the cheapest.

It does have the highest amount of unsaponifiable fats in it, which is why it's supposed to trace faster than regular OO. (At least, that's what I've heard it does.)

I use Soapers Choice blend of half Pomace, half Rice bran oil. Great price, and I love it in soap. If I'm making something I want to be as pure as possible, I'll use Grade A or EVOO, but for the most part I'm happy with the the SC blend.

I prefer pomace over EVOO, the EV makes the soap greenish while pomace will make a nice light bar. I haven't noticed any difference in the soap performance though I have read that pomace is more conditioning.
Save the good stuff for eating, the cheap stuff for soaping.

i am using pomace, coz that's the most economical for me. olive oil is pretty expensive over here, so as much as i wanted to use a better grade of olive oil, i just can't.

i have no complaints so far. quite happy with the pomace i have.

i did make a castile using 100% EVOO, but that's a rare occurrence.

I use pomace and have never experiend unduly fast trace, DOS or a bad final product. In my opinion, there's no need to pay more for higher quality OO to use in soaping.

Back