Soap Slab or Loaf/Log Cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity

Reaction score
Hi all. I've just ordered some slab moulds from Silvermoon Molds which I'm super excited about. As they're in US and I'm in Australia, it'll probably be 4 weeks before I get them and in that time I have to figure how I'm going to cut this slab of soap into 5 logs, which will then be cut into bars. I already have a wire cutter from Bud Haffner for the bars, I just need something to cut the slab into logs.

I thought of having a log cutter made that will work just like the wire cutter but it will of course be big enough to accommodate the slab of soap and would only have 6 wires. I've also seen some where people push the slab of soap through some wires that run vertically, but I'd need a plan for how to make it. I don't like the hand-held log splitters - too slow and I'm sure I would cut it crooked.

Does anyone have some experience with this or might have seen something on the net that would be useful?

Many thanks

I have a giant knife from eBay I use for my M&P. It would likely do the trick. But how big is this slab? Is it like a giant square? Curious since it makes 6 loafs. Wow!
I have extra long loafs and trays for 15 bars but those have dividers.
I'll see if I can find the knife.

Sorry I don't have any ideas about a wire cutter. I just wanted to say that I hope you don't end up as disappointed as I am with Silvermoon. It took double the amount of time to receive my order with promise after promise. Each time the shipment never left the day she promised. Her silicone molds are nice but after the long wait my shipment was received damaged. The wooden box is broken into pieces on each end. She promised to send a replacement but that never happened. I thought of offering to send the wooden box back for her to repair but to be honest with you I just didn't trust her anymore that I would get it back. My husband is fixing the box for me and she's just lost a loyal customer. I'm not saying all of her customer's will have the same issues. I just wanted to let you know since your shipment has so far to travel and with her lack of customer service it could be a major inconvenience for you.

I've learned with this incident that even in our soaper circle it is still buyer beware. I hope that your experience with her ends up much better than what happened to me.

My husband made me a log splitter with some wood and wire. As long as you lay it flat against the soap you get nice even loaves. I generally just lay the slap on end and run it across the top. I'll try to get a picture and post it tonight. It's very basic but works like a gem.

A think a wire cutter big enough for a slab mold could be problematic because of the length of the wire necessary. The longer it is, the more it will flex (or the higher the tension needed to keep it rigid) which could be trouble.

What about a thin, sharp knife and a metal straight edge?

did you ask Bud? he might be able to make you a custom made log splitter. i found his prices to be acceptable that matches his craftmanship, and he's a lovely person to deal with.

I saw on etsy that buds shop in not up right now due to the large amount of orders that he has to get done. I want a log splitter too and would love one of his

Have you checked out the log and grid cutters at For Crafts Sake at http://forcraftssake.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_11. They have been in business for years. I bought my log cutter about nine years ago and I love it. It was a bit pricey, but worth every penny for me.

logcutter_sf.jpg

logcutter2_sf.jpg

soaplog_sf.jpg

I have a large slab mold from Soap Hutch that I adore, very effective as it can be divided into loaf molds.
Songwind is correct, thin sharp knife and metal ruler for edge marking.
Have fun with your new molds.

@sillysoaper, that is one amazing looking log cutter *drools*... i hope one day i can get to your level and make that much soap in one go :)

How odd .. when I went to Silvermoon's website to see the mold all they have listed is silicone liners???

:-(

ETA: MY MISTAKE .. I didn't realize you have to click on the liner to order the box with it.

Last edited:
Hi Songwind

I think you might be right about the wires being too long and stretching too much. I think I'll have to toss that idea.

Dapper Dragon ... sounds interesting!

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back