Thanks Isg

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this so I said to myself, " self if you can't go wrong if you take a picture" so that's what I did. All that just to say thanks Isg for the soft scrub recipe. Made it to and it's great. Used it in my soaping room sink and it's the cleanest ever! :thumbup: Seriously, smells great and so easy to make. I might even use that scent for my next soap! :clap:

image.jpg

And thank you Pepsi Girl for the recognition. I can't really take credit for the recipe as I got it from www.crunchybetty.com/
I added an ingredient that I think makes it work better.

Best Homemade Softscrub
  • 1/4 c borax
  • 1/2 c, baking soda
  • 1/2 c. washing soda
  • 1/2 c. liquid castille soap (I use my homemade liquid soap)
  • 25 drops tea tree essential oil
  • 10 drops lemon essential oil
  • 10 drops peppermint essential oil
  • 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
Mix baking soda, borax, washing soda, and liquid soap in a medium-sized container until it’s pasty and mushy. Add essential oils and white vinegar and mix thoroughly. Be aware when adding the vinegar, that the soda will make it fizz a little.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to give this a try. I have some LS I wasn't happy with and I'm wondering if I could use it. It's coconut and sunflower oil.

I finally made a batch of this today and used it to scrub my main tub/shower and the guest shower. Boy did they need it! I started the task last weekend with Barkeeper's Helper, but it fell short. Crunchy Betty and her Underlings to the rescue! This stuff worked great!!

Yes, it does work well. I made a big batch of cream soap a couple of months ago so I decided to use it in the recipe instead of liquid soap. It makes a great substitution. So those of you who have made a batch of cream soap and don't know what to do with it, use it in the soft scrub recipe.

Just put this together now, can't wait to use it!!! In laws come over today so I'm hoping it works well . Thanks for the recipe.

you can find washing soda in the laundry aisle. if not, go to the pool store and as for "pH Plus". sodium carbonate is the ingredient (same as washing soda)

I make a dry scrub using just borax, washing soda, baking powder and some finely grated 100% CO bar soap and I'll also finely grate the rind from a few oranges and/or lemons into it as well. It gives a divine scent and the fruit wax in it leaves the scrubbed surface with a little bit of a water repellant quality to it. EOs cost an arm and a leg here, so that's my way of getting some fragrance into it for cheap. I don't think it would be a good idea to add it to a wet scrub though, as the water content in the liquid castile would probably make the rind rot, but for dry scrubs, it works brilliantly. :)

So do you just put some on the cloth and then smear it on the surface to be washed, scrub a wee bit and then rinse it off?

Could one make this with out the Borax?

Might be silly questions, but usually the household staff have everything prepared, fires lit and all that, before we get up................................

Yup, just a damp cloth for the sinks and such or if it's the shower or other things that need something a little more heavy duty, I'll use one of those sponges with a plastic scouring side to it. I reckon you can leave out the borax. As long as you have the washing soda in there, the borax is pretty much overkill anyway from what I've read, so just washing soda along with the rest should be enough to do the trick. If you want to add some extra scrub to it, you can add some ordinary table salt, too.

(If you can't get borax where you live, and neither can I here, you can get it online at intralabs.co.uk and they'll gladly send it.)

You can just make a teensy batch of a couple of tablespoons and see how it works for you. I have pretty soft water here, so I don't have scale to worry about, but if you do, you can dampen the cloth with vinegar instead of water.

Do you use equal quantities of borax, soda crystals, bicarbonate of soda and grated soap? If not, can you tell us in what proportions you use these ingredients?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Latest posts

Back