Put down your fountain pens and leave the vintage rover alone. - Shaving question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best brushes are badger hair and you can find inexpensive ones if budget is a concern. Initially they are going to shed a bit but after the break-in period they will hardly shed at all if they are good ones. Next up is boar and then followed by horse. There are imitation and that is what these are. Without actually seeing them I can't tell you what they're like, but it could be a good start.

Sadly, with shaving brushes you usually get what you pay for. And although badger brushes are thought to be the best, there are excellent badger brushes and very ordinary badger brushes ....

If you do decide to buy brushes, take a look at aliexpress.com before you buy - you can get some badger brushes for not much more than these faux brushes.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I would suggest going to r/wicked_edge/ on reddit. List a specific price range and you will be flooded with suggestions.

A little break down for you. Badger bristle brushes are generally regarded as the softest. They are usually broken down into 4 grades of quality, pure, best, super, and silvertip. They generally get softer and possess better lathering qualities as you go up the scale, and the price climbs accordingly.

Boar bristle brushes are also used by many. Some even prefer them. They are generally "stiffer" than badger but help lathering off of hard soaps etc.

Horse hair brushes are also revered by some. They generally are described as a hybrid between a badger and boar in regards to how the feel/lather.

Synthetic brushes are also a viable option. Many are well respected by wet shavers.

In regards to finding a "quality" brush for cheap, boar or synthetic is probably your best best. If I had to grade cost/quality it would be boar,synthetic,horse,badger. Badger are nice, but to get the higher quality you are spending a lot of money ($50-100). You can get a respected omega boar brush for $10-15. But the bottom line it will be extremely difficult getting anything worth shaving with for a few dollars.

Scan through this thread thread. to get suggestions.

This horse hair brush was the cheapest, well reviewed one I could find.

Hope this helps!

I'm sorry I was painting with a really broad brush. I just bought some of those horse hair to try and to sell as well. Thank you

I have abandoned the multi blade razors and returned to the double edge safety razor, shaving brush and soap. Badger is supposed to be really a favorite but remember, you're just putting soap on your face, smooshing it around and scraping it off with a razor blade. I use a $10 Tweezerman brush that is just fine. Sure, there is probably something much better, smoother, more bristles, more in tune with nature, etc., but not being a pig bristle brush, it's ok with me.
If the people getting the gift do not have a brush and have not used one, they will be fine with it. If they have one and love it, they will try the one gifted and either use it or return to their original, keep the gifted for travel or otherwise. I could use two more myself. Most important with any of them is to hang them bristles down to dry. That will extend its life greatly.

LOL at that mental picture. And remembering as a kid, scrubbing the chicken coop weekly with a kitchen scrub brush -- which was not much bigger. :rolleyes:

WEEKLY! When I had chickens the coop got washed twice a year, weither it needed it or not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back