Successful Yellow Dock Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbism

Reaction score
I've been gone a long time from active forum use but i am back. Missed seeing everyone's posts and pics.

But i finally decided to give yellow dock another shot and so far, it has worked.

the powder
ompl.jpg

the infused oil - 6 tablespoons in a 32oz jar filled with pomace olive oil
x9co.jpg

batter - used it at 40% of the total oil weight using the infused oil
e07p.jpg

the next day....it is a deep reddish pink
7tsw.jpg

Hooray for yellow dock!!!!!

Wow, thats a great color. I might have to look into some yellow dock. Is it the leaves or roots you use?

sorry....it is the root. Ordered it from Mountain Rose Herbs

I infused it for 4 weeks...maybe longer, at room temp

Thank you all. The soap is peppermint soap so we wanted candy cane -like colors although i WAS aiming for a prettier pink - might have to scale back the yellow dock infused oil amount.

The log molds were originally a 2-compartment log mold but lining the long narrow molds were not only making me bonkers BUT I'd waste a LOT of paper since the roll of freezer paper was so wide. So we removed the divider and I made a log splitter (still not entirely sure how i succeeded in the design since i just threw it together) and now when I make a "log slab" of soap, I end up with a skinny long piece of soap I just cut with the tank and PRESTO!....I have guest sized soaps to sell OR sample sized to hand out at events.

As for my absence, Thank you for the welcome back....it was not only an absence from this forum but from super active soaping since I was physically unable to lift huge pots filled with 17lbs soap batter for each slab. But I am back!!!

Nice pink! How long does yours stay pink? Mine fades out to orange after a few months.

Last time I made yellow dock soap, it stayed pink for about 18 months before starting to fade. That was a different recipe tho. This recipe was tested a few months ago before committing to this huge slab and it is still a pretty pink - lighter tho since it was infused for a bit shorter of a time

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back