Unscented lard smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Will 100% lard soap loose that dead animal scent as it cures? I wasn't planning on scenting it but I changed my mind as I don't like the natural scent of lard.

Assuming your lard wasn't rancid, yes, it will turn into a lovely mild creamy soap smell. I made some soap with bacon & pork fat that I purified til white, but it still smelled "meaty" while it cured. After 8 weeks (I didn't bother checking it sooner, as it was just for household use) it just smells like soap!

that is good to know! I love lard soapies, but I don't think I've made any with a higher percentage than 40-50%...I've never noticed a "porky" odor before, but when I was home last time I had to toss some lard that I had opened & partly used...it was about 5-6 months old and was definitely rank! I think from now on i'll store it in the fridge!

Mine was nice and fresh, it just has a natural odd odor to me. I put my extra in the freezer. I have some venison fat I need to render, hoping it will be harder.

Mine was nice and fresh, it just has a natural odd odor to me. I put my extra in the freezer. I have some venison fat I need to render, hoping it will be harder.

Oh I am so envious! Been wanting to make some venison soap! With all the deer hunters I know, why am I having such a hard time getting this?!! :eh:

Don't be, I don't have enough to do anything with really. I'll have to hit up the hunters this year to save the fat. I would have had more but I fed a lot to the ravens this winter.

Obsidian the smell should cure out very nicely, but keep in mind that the lard won't smell too badly if you can keep it from getting very hot to begin with.

Latest posts

Back