Bath bombs not floating?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

requisiterose

Reaction score
The basic parts of my recipe for bath bombs are:
2 cups Sodium Bicarbonate
1 cup Citric Acid
Then I add cream of tartar, kaolin, polysorbate, fragrance, and witch hazel.

My bombs are pretty big, I use the Christmas ornaments from Hobby Lobby. (I love the round bath bombs)

I've heard that the addition of cornstarch to your bombs helps them float. Is this true or is there something else I could use? Or possibly are my bombs just too heavy?

Thanks.

A good bath bomb wont float because it will be dense. The ones that float are very lightly packed and have lots of air pockets in them (think lush). I use cornstarch in mine to help retain scent (2 parts baking soda, 1 part citric acid, 1/2 part cornstarch). Basically bombs that sink aren't a bad thing.

A good bath bomb wont float because it will be dense. The ones that float are very lightly packed and have lots of air pockets in them (think lush). I use cornstarch in mine to help retain scent (2 parts baking soda, 1 part citric acid, 1/2 part cornstarch). Basically bombs that sink aren't a bad thing.

agreed!

Oh. I've never bought from Lush. I always make sure to pack them tightly, I know it makes them last longer. Id much rather have thay than a lightly packed one. But thanks for the help :)

Latest posts

Back