Pumpkin soap wedding favors, make it or buy it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolejka

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am getting married in October and I wanted to make pumpkin soap as wedding favors. It all seemed so easy in my head but now that I am looking into it I am actually not so sure I want to go through with it. I've made few batches of soap before, all except one turned out good and actually stayed usable even after 6+ months so I feel this should be fine.

However, I have never made a batch larger than 3lbs before and I will need to make about 10lbs of soap this time. Not only that, but I have never added any kind of vegetable/fruit into my soap before. I wanted to add pumpkin puree into this one.
Then I have to buy the fragrance, and I looked and with shipping I will spedn around $30 for fragrance, that seems a bit much. I do have some of the oils/butters, will need to buy some more OO and CO. I have the lye and equipment already

Just getting discouraged by it. So now I am starting to think that I might be better off just buying some custom soaps on etsy. But then I couldnt stamp them with my stamp :/ and couldnt tell people I made them myself. Although, that might be a good thing in case they turn out horrible lol

Thoughts? Should I buy or make?

How many favors are you making?

I made about 100 soap favors for my BFF in April. Just plain, round CP with lavender buds and essential oil and wrapped in a coffee filter and an Avery label. They were about 3.5 ounces each. I guesstimated the cost to be slightly over $100 for all of the supplies (the lav. EO was probably about half of the cost). I was the maid of honor so the favors were a gift to my friend. Not many wedding favors are less than $1 to make though and people raved about how much they loved the soap favors.

I think if you are interested you can try a small batch or 2 of CP with pumpkin puree to see if you like the look you get without committing to a fragrance. Start early though, I intended to make soap for my own wedding in 2011 and got so stressed out with everything that I ended up just putting wedding candies into cute little baggies. After I saw how people reacted to the soap at my friend's wedding, I really regretted not doing it for my own. An added bonus of soap is the scent really adds to the ambiance of the reception.

I am going to make 50-60 soaps, I was thinking 2oz each. Our wedding is fall/thanksgiving themed and pumpkins are going to be our main decoration, thats why I wanted to do the pumpkin soap. That is a great idea to make a small batch of unscented pumpkin soap to see how I like it. I have exactly 5 months before the wedding and I am running out of time with the soap, I wanted to make it in February but got so busy I couldnt, then I forgot.

Why not try a small batch for personal use to see if you like it before you commit to the big one?

If it were me, I'd like to try to make them myself :)

I agree. and if the small batch with pumpkin doesn't come out then just make the larger batch without the puree using only the pumpkin FO.

If you're making 10lbs, that should be roughly 4 oz of fragrance. I don't know where you looked, but most 4 oz fragrances are under $8. Most of the ones I buy are around $6, and shipping is about $5. Try Ebay if the soap websites are too expensive. My favorite supplier is on Ebay and I've never been unhappy with her fragrances.

Also, if it makes you nervous to make all the soap at once, make it in smaller batches. That's what I would do. I like working in small batches.

Adoptapitbull, who do you get your fragrances from?

are you sure 4 oz is enough for 10lbs? I thought it was like 0.6-0.8oz per lb. When I looked at all the soaping websites I know of I'd be hit with 12-15$ shipping charge for 8oz of fragrance which I thought was ridiculous.

Ha, I didnt even think of making it in small batches. Thanks for the idea cursive!

Also, if it makes you nervous to make all the soap at once, make it in smaller batches. That's what I would do. I like working in small batches.

Adoptapitbull, who do you get your fragrances from?

Yes any time working with something new I would do a small batch - you have more control of the pour and time to get it all molded before it starts to harden. I made a fab pumpkin lager (beer) soap last october - it was a real hit, especially with the men.

I used generic brown lager and carrot juice instead of water... added small amount of pumpkin puree (canned from Trader Joe's) and Bramble Berry Pumpkin Spice fragrance oil. I only added 3 oz of pumpkin to my 5lb batch - any more than that and I think it would have been troublesome. The beer added so much bubble compared to when I made it without the beer! Just a tip!

Also, doing several smaller batches will keep you in your comfort zone -- you're doing what you already know. You will have enough time get the soap from a small batch poured before the batter firms up too much, if you are using individual decorative molds. And you won't have to buy a whole pile of molds either.

The added bonus of making it in smaller batches is you get to make soap more than once!

If you do use beer, as mkbaber mentioned above, make sure you let it get completely flat before using, either by letting it sit open on the counter or by boiling it for a few minutes first!

Also, since I didn't see it mentioned and you've only made a few batches, you might want to be careful on picking your fragrance unless you don't care if it turns brown. When I first started soaping, some that I wouldn't have thought had vanilla or otherwise discolored, did and I ended up disappointed in a few of them. Many of the pumpkin type fragrances unfortunately do. I happen to love pumpkin soap but my all time favorite has been made with eggnog :p

I think you can totally pull this off! Small batches like everyone said. I would probably just use a PVC mold or a pringles can and make round soaps. That way you aren't having to fool with individual molds.

I think it sounds like fun and you have plenty of time to play. Also, once all of the soaps are fully cured and ready to be wrapped up you could have a "favor" party with the bridesmaids or with friends and family. you can have them help wrap and label everything. I had to make all of my centerpieces for my reception and had a bunch of girls over to help. I showed them how to make it and it was soon done in a snap.

thank you everyone for encouragement and all the ideas/advice.
I am going to try a 1lb batch with beer first, I am actually excited about giving that a try.

For mold I am going to use 2inch pipe - my fiance is a plumber so he has a truck full of all kinds of pipes. Plus I find the round soaps are the prettiest :D

for the fragrance, I found one that I don't think has vanilla as the description says it turns golden pumpkin color. The only problem is that they require $15 order minimum and then the shipping is around $15 as well. So that was a bummer :/ http://www.oregontrailsoaps.com/productDetail.php?id=439

You got this-you've been planning your wedding all year, which means you can totally handle making soap :) As mentioned, make smaller batches that you are comfortable with! 5 2 pound batches could be done in a week or 2!

I think you should make them.
I made soap favors for my sister's wedding. They were CP goats milk Sweet Grass scented and a CP tomato leaf corn grit scrubbie bar. She had her wedding on a farm. "Good clean fun on the Farm" was on the label along with their names and the date. I made them in 2 in pvc pipe and cut them at about .5" to .75" bars. They were more like guest size soaps. Then, I wrapped them in squares of quilting fabric and stuck a round label on with all the ingredients and the name of the fragrance. The label held the fabric together. The fabric matched the colors of the wedding, but were very country quilty like. They went like hot cakes and some people still have them sitting around.

dawn and matt.jpg

Last edited:
:D

for the fragrance, I found one that I don't think has vanilla as the description says it turns golden pumpkin color. The only problem is that they require $15 order minimum and then the shipping is around $15 as well. So that was a bummer :/ http://www.oregontrailsoaps.com/productDetail.php?id=439

I had a look on oregons site and 4ozs is $7.95 8ozs is $14.95 so you are pretty close to the minimum order, they recommend .5oz PPO so that means you'll have to get the 8oz one to cover what you need for 10 lbs. Unfortunately postage is expensive for one bottle.

I think you can totally pull this off! Small batches like everyone said. I would probably just use a PVC mold or a pringles can and make round soaps. That way you aren't having to fool with individual molds.

I would not use a Pringles can as they have aluminium on the inside. The reaction with lye might not be especially nice.:shock:

Latest posts

Back