~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > CPOP: Cold Process Oven Process

Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Basia

Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 305

Default CPOP: Cold Process Oven Process

I've never heard of CPOP soap before, hovewer, I am very new (about one month) to CP soap. Could someone explain this process please?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
melstan775

Liked 1153 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 2548

From what I understand, CPOP is cold process soap, but when you're done you put it in an oven overnight to get some of the moisture out of it. The oven is set to 170 degrees then turned off when it is preheated. You just put the soap in there, you're not trying to cook it at all. The point is to get it to saponify faster.

People Like This 
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Hazel
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1807 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 2032

CPOP is pretty much how melstan775 described it. Basically, the oven takes the place of covering with towels or blankets. It helps to force the gel phase so the batch takes less time to saponify. Also, you don't end up with a partially gelled batch which can sometimes occur when only using a towel or blanket for insulation.

I want to mention CPOP only helps with saponification. It is not a substitute for curing. Although, it may slightly shorten the curing period because of the evaporation of some water while in the oven.
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Marieke

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I do that regurly but only with soaps that contain no or only a little sugery ingredients like goat milk or honey. I keep temperature between 140-160 and leave the oven on for 5-6 hours. Then I take the soap out and cover it with towels and a blanket.

Last edited by Marieke; 02-17-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Skatergirl46 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Basia

So your loaf sits in the oven for about 6 hr. while the oven is on? Is your loaf covered up or not?

Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
VanessaP

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 29

That is a LONG time to leave the soap in the warm oven - I would be very afraid of getting overheated soap keeping it that warm for that long. At most, I leave my oven on 170 for 1 hour while the soap is in and just leave the soap in there while the oven cools. I never get partial gel when I do that.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Hazel

I do it the same as VanessaP. I leave the oven on for 1 hour, turn it off and leave the soap in the oven for several hours but I prefer to leave them in it overnight. If I have to take the soap out, I wrap the molds in towels for insulation.

I like to use parchment baking paper to cover the molds. Last night, I had to use freezer paper with the shiny side up because I forgot to buy more parchment paper. It worked out fine.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Marieke

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basia View Post
So your loaf sits in the oven for about 6 hr. while the oven is on? Is your loaf covered up or not?
Yes, I cover it with some seran wrap. Uncoverd the soap forms little bubbles on top like these:
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0197.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
Basia

How long do you have to cure the CPOP soap once is out of the oven and when is it safe to use it?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
Hazel

Soap is safe to use as long as all the lye has reacted and the soap doesn't zap. Just remember it's not at it's best and may be a little harsh feeling or drying on your skin. However, curing allows for more water evaporation, lather improves (more dense & bubbly) and for the soap to become milder. I notice a difference in 2 weeks but I still cure soap for at least 4 weeks to make sure excess water has evaporated and the soap has "hardened".

I'd say it's personal preference. If you're a bit impatient, perhaps try a bar at 2 weeks and see how it is and how it holds up in the shower. If it seems soft and is used up quickly then you know it does need a longer curing time. I don't recommend a 2 week cure normally but I can understand how hard it is to wait to test a bar. If you're going to give the soap as a gift or sell it, I strongly recommend at least a 4 week curing time. I cure soap for at least 4 weeks. I tested a regular gelled 4+ oz bar which had cured for 4 weeks and it lasted a month for me. However, I didn't use the bar every day but I used it at least 5 days every week.

People Like This