Magic Cookie Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Warning! These are very rich tasting so you don't want to cut these into large sized bars.

Magic Cookie Bars
From Southern Living, November 2002

Yield: approximately 30 bars

1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 (14.5 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup butterscotch morsels
1 (7 oz) package sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts

Stir together melted butter and graham cracker crumbs and press into bottom of a 13 x 9 inch pan.

Pour sweetened condensed milk over crumbs; sprinkle evenly with chocolate and butterscotch morsels, coconut and walnuts. Gently press mixture to a uniform thickness with a fork.

Bake batch at 350 F/176 C for 25 to 30 minutes or until coconut is lightly browned. Cool 45 minutes on a wire rack. Cut into 1 ½ x 2 ½ inch bars.

Tips: mix the sweetened condensed milk with about 1/4 can of milk and drizzle it on last to make bars more moist. (I just pour the condensed milk into a measuring cup and then fill the can up buy about one fourth. Then I stir the milk around the can to get as much of the condensed milk off the sides. I pour this into the measuring cup and mix well before pouring.)

For Bailey’s fans: add 1/2 cup of Bailey’s Irish Cream to the butter before starting the batch. After bars are done, lightly brush them with Bailey’s.

For crust: chocolate graham crackers honey graham crackers, vanilla wafers or Oreo cookie crumbs. Reduce the butter amount as the Oreos are fattier. It might be easier just to use reduced fat Oreos.

Substitute pecans or almonds for the walnuts.

Add marshmallows or another ingredient to make this a 7 Layer Bar.

Use colorful mini candy covered chocolate pieces or red & green M&Ms to make a festive treat. Other times of the year, you could use pastel M&Ms or orange and brown ones for Halloween.

Substitute peanut butter or white chocolate chips for the butterscotch.

Substitute raisins for butterscotch morsels or you can use the raisins to replace the nuts.

You're welcome! I forgot to mention I used shredded coconut instead of flaked but it came out fine. I took a batch into work and people loved them. One guy told me he hated coconut but he really liked the bars. Then he asked for the recipe so he could give it to his girlfriend. :lol:

Hazel, what are you doing posting recipes like this :p , when you are posting in the weight loss thread. I can't make this anyway :lol: , cause we don't have graham crackers and butterscotch morsels, not sure about the chocolate morsels either. I think they might be choc. melts here. I can't put on kgs if I don't eat it. :D

Ha! You discovered my diabolical plan to fatten you all up while I lose weight. Bwhahahaha! :twisted:

Don't you have cookies in Australia? You can use cookies and chocolate chips (she suggested temptingly).

Hazel said:
Ha! You discovered my diabolical plan to fatten you all up while I lose weight. Bwhahahaha! :twisted:

Don't you have cookies in Australia? You can use cookies and chocolate chips (she suggested temptingly).

We have biscuits, not cookies. I asked dh and he said he's seen graham crackers in the supermarket, I think we call them water crackers. We musn't speak the same English :lol: , I know - yours is the one with the accent :wink: , ( hiding under a rock now).The one the guinea pigs use. :lol:

I know we definitely don't speak the same English. :lol: Someone posted a list of Australian words and gave the definitions of them for the edification of American members. I enjoyed reading it.

They are sooo good. Fortunately for my diet, I don't have all the ingredients so I won't make them this year. However, I do have the ingredients for No Bake cookies. :lol:

I've been wondering about trying No Bakes with reduced sugar and using granola instead of oatmeal. I wondered if it would make for a slightly healthier snack.

I was thinking about this because the company that makes my favorite fudge dipped granola bars have changed them. I'm addicted to these bars. :oops: They used to be 1.5 oz and 8 in a box. Now they're 1.05 oz but have an advertising blurb on the front of the box "Now with 10 bars in box". They've also gone up a little in price. To be fair, I did notice the slight price increase before they changed the size of the bars. It didn't bother me too much because that's the way it is - prices do go up. My theory is they changed the size and amount so people think they're getting more for the same price.

Uh huh! Right. Now I'm paying more for 10.5 oz instead of 12 oz plus the bars don't taste quite the same any more. I used to eat a 1.5 oz bar for a snack on first break and it would hold me until lunch. The 1.05 oz doesn't and I'm very hungry by lunch time. I don't know why the small weight difference would matter but the smaller bars just don't satisfy me. Not quite the same taste or texture and it doesn't give me that little happy "yummy, this is sooo good" feeling when I eat one. This is why I started thinking about making my own type of fudgy chocolaty goodness to not only quell the hunger but for a serotonin boost.

Well that's different if your trying to come up with a discontinued(so to speak) chocolate source that's ok. That way you can eat one granola one and one oatmeal one :D That's the way I think, Now you can see why I have a hard time losing weight!!
But seriously I'd try it. You could also try applesauce (unsweetened) for the sugar and fat, I do that a lot! I should look at the recipe before I give to much advice :oops:

I didn't think of unsweetened applesauce and I have some in the frig. That's a good suggestion for helping to cut a bit of the butter content. I'd have to experiment and see how it would turn out. I have all the ingredients except for granola.

Magic cookie bar is one of my favorite and I will absolutely love this Hazel. Can't wait to make one. Thanks for sharing! Yum! Yum!

My grandmother helped make these a favorite for me. Delicious! Now that I have had to start eating gluten free though I am going to attempt to make some gluten free 'graham cracker-ish' crackers and then I can have some again. Its been months. These bars are also awesome for a young kid to start out their baking with, so simple.

eta: I always put down the coconut as my first layer. People that HATE coconut have just raved(like you were saying in the earlier post) Its pretty funny when they ask whats in it and you say COCONUT. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back