Has anyone used Pecan butter or Coconut butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleighc

Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone has ever used these in soap before. I do HP and was thinking of super fatting with them maybe? I am hoping to add a slight coconut and pecan fragrance by adding the butters and hopefully NOT have to use fragrance oils.

Any thoughts or ideas?

P.S. I have read that coconut is considered a fruit so I'm not even sure if I made a butter (I would puree shredded coconut flakes) out of it and used it if it would be considered a fat. Hmmmmmm......

You probably will not get any scent from either butter once saponified. Even Cocoa Butter doesn't leave much scent, if any, in soap. Never heard of "Coconut Butter", and I don't think pureeing Coconut Flakes would result in a butter, but you could probably still add it to your soap batter. It may have enough fats in it to saponify, but that's just a guess. It may just be exfoliating, because I doubt Coconut Flakes would truly purée. It may be good label appeal, but you won't get any scent from it, unfortunately.

Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of adding them as a super fats without the lye discount. I Hot Process so I would be adding towards the end of the cooking period so the lye would be done with the rest of the fats. I'm sorry I should have mentioned that.

I read about the coconut butter online. They add coconut oil while pureeing to make it a butter. I'm pretty sure it's not considered a true butter though. I was hoping the oil added to the puree would be considered the superfatting and the pureed coconut would add a faint smell.

I plan on experimenting and seeing what happens. I'm just hoping someone else has tried them before with some success.

Happy soaping!

Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of adding them as a super fats without the lye discount. I Hot Process so I would be adding towards the end of the cooking period so the lye would be done with the rest of the fats. I'm sorry I should have mentioned that.

I read about the coconut butter online. They add coconut oil while pureeing to make it a butter. I'm pretty sure it's not considered a true butter though. I was hoping the oil added to the puree would be considered the superfatting and the pureed coconut would add a faint smell.

I plan on experimenting and seeing what happens. I'm just hoping someone else has tried them before with some success.

Happy soaping!

Hi Eleighc, I've been asking a question about coconut butter in another thread and I was wondering if you ever experimented with that butter and how it worked out?

Latest posts

Back