Soap for babies?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanieB

Reaction score
So I have a few ladies I work with that are expecting and thought some soap would make a nice
addition to their shower baskets. I'm wondering if anyone would have an amazing soap that
would be gentle enough for newborns? Thanks in advance for any advise.

I just read a book about CP soapmaking and it said Castille soap is good for babies, its extremely gentle. I think its a 100% olive oil soap, and then there is Basitlle which is about 70% olive oil.....my % may be a bit off but basically, an Olive oil soap. I never made it so I cant testify to it though. :D

I hear so many prefer 100% castile but it takes 6 months to cure. Personally, I am not fond of castile. I like a highly superfatted avocado oil soap....coconut, PKO, olive, avo and maybe mango butter added in but a superfat of like 10%. It is odd how my recipes that go through soap calc and turn up being high on cleaning and low ion conditioning end up being my most moisturizing - maybe because of the superfat level. I just do what I feel and try it for myself. Soap calc is just a starting point anyway!

Could a castile or bastille soap be hot processed with a water discount? Would that cut down on the cure time?

For babies 6 months & older I recommend very well aged castile soaps because they're less of an allergy risk & they are very gentle. Keep in mind that pediatricians now recommend that before 6 months old that babies only be wiped down with water.

Is it OK to use some cocoa butter in baby soap for my 1y old son?

I plan to do 86% OO, 7% castor, 7% cocoa b.
Chamomile tea.
SF @ 8%

Do I get the green light? ;)

Or is better to use OO and castor only?

Thanks

Genny said:
Keep in mind that pediatricians now recommend that before 6 months old that babies only be wiped down with water.

Thank you for that point most new parents do not know that. As a new momma I didnt know it, I had an ashy/rashy baby. doc said quit washin her, cleared it up for a spell. Turns out the rash was eczema from any and all fragrances. But heres my point, the less ingreants in a baby's soap the better

Why not make a soap for mum instead? Highly moisturising with loads of goodies for stretchmarks, maybe some clay for detoxing etc? I often think mum gets forgetten in the new baby joy.

ClaraSuds said:
Why not make a soap for mum instead? Highly moisturising with loads of goodies for stretchmarks, maybe some clay for detoxing etc? I often think mum gets forgetten in the new baby joy.

That's a great idea!

If you make a soap and claim that it's moisturizing and that it helps with stretch marks, you're going to give that mom a lot of false hope!

Back