Using both KOH and NaOH in bar soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartinoff

Reaction score
I was looking at an ingredients list for a shaving soap that listed both potassium and sodium salts. I can't find any recipes that use both kinds of lye in the same batch. Anyone know where i can find one? Thanks :)

Re: Using both KOH and NaOH in soap

This should help your search - it's called cream soap or whipped soap.

Not to be confused with whipped sodium (only) soap.

You could try searching for whipped potassium soap or cream potassium soap.

Haven't tried it myself, because it doesn't seem very practical in terms of storing and using it.

Re: Using both KOH and NaOH in soap

I should have mentioned that it's a bar soap. I've made cream soap before (which is totally worth giving a try, it's a really cool process with some awesome results, gotta get a preservative though) The soap I saw is here: http://www.theartofshaving.com/Shaving- ... aving-soap

I've read a post on another forum about calculating 90% of my oils using NaOH and then calculating 10% with KOH. I'm assuming it makes the shave soap nice and creamy and want to try it :) I'd just like to find a recipe instead of going at it semi-blind.

The link you posted doesn't obviously hit me as a bar soap - and I read the description carefully. Might be a cream soap, for all I can tell.

If you're after shaving soap, it helps putting that in the title of your topic.

That being said, I'm wondering myself if adding KOH changes the texture of the lather (which probably is the main thing for a shaving soap).

Not sure if this helps, but I often add a little liquid soap in my bars, to help emulsify certain additives. I mean, it may be easier for you to simply add a certain percentage of liquid soap to your soap batter instead of calculating 90% and 10% oils separately.

Latest posts

Back