Getting Ready for My First Batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinHoodFan

Reaction score
Ok so I finally bit the bullet and used my birthday money to buy about $120 worth of supplies to start my first batch! I want to make sure I got everything and that it's correct. Can any of you experienced soapmakers help me in confirming I have everything I need to start? Any links references etc are also greatly appreciated.

Beginner Recipe from a book:
10.5oz coconut oil
10.5oz olive oil
9oz shea butter
8oz distilled water
4.2oz lye

Here's what I ordered - Did I order enough for my recipe?:
2lbs Food Grade Lye
1QT Coconut Oil
1QT Pomace Grade Olive Oil
16oz Unrefined Organic Shea Butter
PH Test paper 1-12
Cuisnart 200 watt hand mixer w/stainless steel rod
3 types of essential oils (two are 1oz one is .5oz)

What I have on hand:
Postal scale that measures in 0.1oz
goggles
respirator
aprin
stainless steel slotted spoon (it says "stainless china" on it...that's stainless steel right? I can use this to mix the lye yes?)
4c glass measuring cup for melting the fats Is this big enough for my recipe or should I get a glass pitcher or use a glass bowl instead

Still need to get:
Good Rubber gloves
Distilled water
thermometer (what kind should I get? I have a meat one but it starts at 140 and i need 90-110 according to the book. )
milk carton for the mold
Pitcher for mixing lye (what kind and how big? I hear stainless steel or plastic. Plastic will be easier to find but how do I know what kind of plastic to get so it wont melt when I mix the lye? Can a glass pitcher be used?)
Something to mix the soap in. Book reccomends stainless steel soup pot. How big do you think I need for this recipe? Any other cheaper alternatives i can use to mix my soap in?
Something to cool the lye mixture in. Book reccomends roasting pan steel or stainless steel...yet says never aluminum b/c it can react wit the lye...but this is confusing b/c the lye is not going directly touch it..it's just for the icebath...do i still need to worry about it being aluminum even though the lye will be inside the mixing pticher? I was thinking one of those disposable roasting pans..but i think those are aluminum.

Anything else I need that's missing here?
Also, is it safe to wash and use your kitchen utensils again after using them to make soap or should they be dedicated to soapmaking only?

Sorry for so many questions. Hopefully someone can help and point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance! I really appreciate any help I can get :)

Hi RobinHood Fan!

I think you need a larger mixing bowl. You don't want the soap close to the top after you add the lye water. You can get the plastic paint buckets at Lowe's or Home Depot to mix with. I have a large 8 cup Pyrex container that I use to melt the fats/oils and then as my bowl. Or, I just use my stainless steel large pot (which I use for cooking as well) if it's a larger batch. After you've ordered more supplies, you may end up with a plastic container that would work for mixing.

I mix my lye in the quart containers that Wonton soup comes in from my local Chinese takeout. However, for years I used a plastic rubbermaid pitcher that you can find in most stores. I put the lye water on my stove (on steady surface) and turn on my fan. If you make the lye water at least 30-45 min ahead of time, you don't have to fool with the ice batch. But, if you need it, just put the bottom of your lye water container in a pan with ice water, etc.

If you have a Costco or Sam's nearby, buy the Olive Oil from them. I get my lard and coconut oil from Walmart. It's still cheaper for me than ordering online since I don't want 50lbs of coconut oil at this time.

Looks like you bought enough for your recipe. I use my regular stainless spoons and no problems yet. I would recommend a candy thermometer or a digital thermometer for the soap. I vote you need at least one spatula, that's one of my most used items for scraping out the last bit of soap.

Sorry for the scattered answer. Gotta get ready for my yard sale!

kharmon320 said:
Hi RobinHood Fan!

I think you need a larger mixing bowl. You don't want the soap close to the top after you add the lye water. You can get the plastic paint buckets at Lowe's or Home Depot to mix with. I have a large 8 cup Pyrex container that I use to melt the fats/oils and then as my bowl. Or, I just use my stainless steel large pot (which I use for cooking as well) if it's a larger batch. After you've ordered more supplies, you may end up with a plastic container that would work for mixing.

I mix my lye in the quart containers that Wonton soup comes in from my local Chinese takeout. However, for years I used a plastic rubbermaid pitcher that you can find in most stores. I put the lye water on my stove (on steady surface) and turn on my fan. If you make the lye water at least 30-45 min ahead of time, you don't have to fool with the ice batch. But, if you need it, just put the bottom of your lye water container in a pan with ice water, etc.

If you have a Costco or Sam's nearby, buy the Olive Oil from them. I get my lard and coconut oil from Walmart. It's still cheaper for me than ordering online since I don't want 50lbs of coconut oil at this time.

Looks like you bought enough for your recipe. I use my regular stainless spoons and no problems yet. I would recommend a candy thermometer or a digital thermometer for the soap. I vote you need at least one spatula, that's one of my most used items for scraping out the last bit of soap.

Sorry for the scattered answer. Gotta get ready for my yard
sale!

Thanks for the tips!! I grabbed some things at the discount store the other day (a plastic pitcher, small thick chilcren's sand pail for mixing the soap, cooling racks, some ziploc food containers for the mold, gloves, plastic measuring cup and one of those kitchen spatulas. Hopefully those will work.

The book mentions to use a 1qt milk carton for the mold so it seems to be a pretty small batch. I was torn between the childrens bucket or a larger wash pail ..I just didnt want to end up with such a huge bucket where the soap is only like an inch or so from the bottom for mixing ...sigh....

The pitcher I have is 2.5 liter which i filled almost all the way and dumped in the pail..there seemed to still be plenty of room for mixing still....and if 1liter = roughly 1.06qt, Thats probably almost 2 qts or water i poard in the pail...I hope the size of my things are good. i think what i'm gunna do is measure everything out with water first and dump it in the pail i got for mixing to get an idea of how high it will actually come.

I mean i think that's really my biggest concern right now is if I have all the sizes right b/c i have no idea what the oz weight of liquids look like...if it was all in fl oz i can get a better idea..but i have no idea what the weight of that amount looks like.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! My Soapmaking supplies have arrived!!!!!! I even got 10 free oz of Lye with my order!! AWESOME! I'm so excited and cant wait to try!! I may give it a go on Saturday with hubby to be sure I have enough time to dedicate.

I think all i need is a thermometer and I'm ready to go!!!

and BTW the Ylang Ylang smells SOOOOOO good! It smells like shampoo! I love it! I may just use straight Ylang Ylang for my first batch to keep things simple.

So excited!

The postal scale might be okay for small batches, but I found out quickly that a more expensive scale was worth the price. The larger area plus more features are very useful. I think I paid something around $50.

SueSoap said:
The postal scale might be okay for small batches, but I found out quickly that a more expensive scale was worth the price. The larger area plus more features are very useful. I think I paid something around $50.

Well..my postal scale was around $150-$200 ...it's used for my business and measures in 0.1oz what other features besides zeroing out would I need from a scale?

Your excitement is wonderful!! I remember that feeling the day my soaping supplies arrived for my first batch! Be sure and have someone take pictures when you soap - you will be glad you did!

A couple of thoughts:
1.Did you run your recipe through SoapCalc or another soap calculator? (www.soapcalc.net)

2. Can you use kitchen utensils again after using them for soap. Yes, but it's not recommended. You don't want any food remnants in your soap, nor fragrances in your food. I did for the first batch, but then started purchasing dedicated soaping equipment.

3. I use a set of Revereware stainless steel cooking pots to soap with. I mix up the lye and water in a 1.5 qt. pot and melt my oils in the 3 qt. pot. When the oils are cool, I add my lye/water to them and stickblend. Fewer bowls to clean!

4. If I need to cool down my lye/water or oils, I just cover the bottom of my kitchen sink with ice cubes and set the pot on top of the ice cubes.

5. I also work on cookie sheets - I have several old ones. One placed under the mold, one to put under the lye/water and one goes under the pots when blending oils and lye. That way it is easy to transport my full mold and any splashes from stirring, pouring, or blending fall onto my old cookie sheets and not my counter tops.

Carolyn
:D

carolyntn said:
Your excitement is wonderful!! I remember that feeling the day my soaping supplies arrived for my first batch! Be sure and have someone take pictures when you soap - you will be glad you did!

A couple of thoughts:
1.Did you run your recipe through SoapCalc or another soap calculator? (www.soapcalc.net)

2. Can you use kitchen utensils again after using them for soap. Yes, but it's not recommended. You don't want any food remnants in your soap, nor fragrances in your food. I did for the first batch, but then started purchasing dedicated soaping equipment.

3. I use a set of Revereware stainless steel cooking pots to soap with. I mix up the lye and water in a 1.5 qt. pot and melt my oils in the 3 qt. pot. When the oils are cool, I add my lye/water to them and stickblend. Fewer bowls to clean!

4. If I need to cool down my lye/water or oils, I just cover the bottom of my kitchen sink with ice cubes and set the pot on top of the ice cubes.

5. I also work on cookie sheets - I have several old ones. One placed under the mold, one to put under the lye/water and one goes under the pots when blending oils and lye. That way it is easy to transport my full mold and any splashes from stirring, pouring, or blending fall onto my old cookie sheets and not my counter tops.

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn! I haven't run it through a calc b/c i have NO idea how those things work...cant quite figure it out....Its the beginner basic recipe from the book "smart soapmaking" which seems to be a well known reliable book on the forums. I really dont want to start futzing with things where i have no idea what i'm doing...i'm already freaking out about how to mix the two scents together that i want to try and I have no idea if it will smell good....i kinda held up both bottles together and wafted them towards my nose...i guess it smelled nice? lol :shock:

I went to the discount store and bought a bunch of plastic stuff for soaping...speaking of which, i should probably grab an extra spoon when I go get my thermometer...i did buy those plastic spatula things for like cake batter from the discount store...not sure of their quality...do you think those would work for mixing the lye or should I get a better spoon?

Actually, just looked up teh scrapers off the website on the back and I believe these are them..its a different package but the last 3 # of the product number match the one on the front of this package...so they're not plastic...my bad....they say rubber http://www.symaksales.com/product.jhtm?id=6748&cid=

GAAAAHHHHH!! I just realized my stick blender hasn't arrived yet! DARN!! Checked tracking and it should be here tomorrow...crossing fingers I can make some soap this weekend!!

Here's a few more tips:
1.Spoons I mix my lye with are hi-temp nylon spoon like this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=18614049

2.For scents, I would recommend no scents your first batch. Just learn the mechanics of soaping with out worrying about scents. Also, to test new scents simply place a few drops on a piece of acid-free paper or a Q-tip in the ratio you think would be good. That way you can smell the combo and not waste lots of essential oils.

3. Using soapcalc is very easy. Just follow the numbers starting with 1. Input your data and it will tell you all about the recipe. What part is puzzling you? Maybe I can help.

Carolyn

I used smart soapmaking for my beginner book also, and it is really fantastic as far as walking you through the process. A few things I've modified as I've gone along....I use my plastic dishpan to use as my ice bath container to cool the lye water. Also, I just use water now instead of fooling with ice water. The whole. Thing sits in my sink, which is also where I mix the lye.

ToniD said:
I used smart soapmaking for my beginner book also, and it is really fantastic as far as walking you through the process. A few things I've modified as I've gone along....I use my plastic dishpan to use as my ice bath container to cool the lye water. Also, I just use water now instead of fooling with ice water. The whole. Thing sits in my sink, which is also where I mix the lye.

Yea i was planning to do everything outside..and i was going to mix my lye first and let it cool while i start the oils depending on how quickly it cools, i may just bring it in and leave it in the sink with some cold water...she has you melting the oils first which i would think would cool off much faster than the lye and i'd rather not fuss with reheating the oils till the temp is right.

Ok we did it...we made soap! :eek:

We both had fun...but can't say the soap is all that pretty lol!

First off, I'm still confused on the scent quantities...the recipe had 1.2oz of scent...I used 2 full 1oz bottles of EO and that came to just about 1.1....Stunk up the whole house!! I had to put them outside while we continued to work! OOYY i hope it mellows out as it cures.. :/

Major problem of the night...the soap saponified too quickly after adding the EO's and started to harden in the pot! :mad: Crud! Sooo needless to say, my soaps wont be pretty..but hopefully they'll still be usable! :D

I wanted to try again but don't have enough shea butter...i'll have to stock up and give it another go. Get some large bottles EO or FO this time. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Latest posts

Back