Salt increase volume of final soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serfmunke

Reaction score
When making salt soap my volume is too much for that of my molds. Is it because of the salt? I measured my ounce weights for the molds using water and ended up with five extra soaps! Where did I mess up?

Think it through
Normally you have water + lye + oils; in your salt bar you have all the same plus salt - so yea, it's going to take up more space because the salt takes up space.

How much extra it makes depends on how much salt you use.

I just made my first salt bar. 80% salt ppo. 16oz of oil with the 80% salt equals the same amount of batter as my 21oz oil batches with no salt. So use about 76% of the amount of oil you usually would for a full batch. Hope that helps!

Yup, makes perfect sense. I always need to mess up first before the logic sticks.

serfmunke said:
Yup, makes perfect sense. I always need to mess up first before the logic sticks.
welcome to my world.
but in my case, I need to mess up twice...

I do my salt bars in the BB square silicone multicavity mold, and use Irish Lass' formula (100% CO, Coconut milk for liquid, 25% salt, 13% SF), 16 oz. of oils. It always fills up 5-4 oz. cavities exactly (flush with top of cavities). So, 16 oz. of oils + 4 oz. of salt = 20 oz. total (or 5-4 oz. cavities). I imagine for messier calculations (such as 80% salt), you'd take your oils + 80% of your oils (if you're using this much salt) and that will give you your total volume:

16 oz of oils + 12.8 oz salt = 28.8 oz. total volume

Make sense?

Latest posts

Back