Red CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awhile ago- I got Crimson Red Mica from BB and it rocked. I still have some so not sure if they still sell it. I love it mixed with Lab Colors for really a deep red.

I think Red is the hardest color in soap making to achieve.

AmyW said:
Hazel said:
I'm sorry. I could have sworn she said Merlot mica from BB. I'm pretty sure it was the name of a wine. I went and looked for the post but I couldn't find it. Maybe she mixed the Merlot with another color.

I'll look again for the post. I guess this should teach me not to pass on info I don't know from personal experience.

No, I read the same post, it was the reason I bought that color lol

herbaliser, it was supposed to be red/green for christmas (scented with Peak Hollyberry & Ivy). The green is green chrome oxide from BB.

That's a really nice green oxide..mine looks so lame compared to that. Did you mix with white mica or anything (it looks sparkly)? I always have trouble putting oxides in too because they clump like mad.

Moonblossom, that is the kind of red I'm trying to achieve! Absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks for all the recs guys! Looks like I need to make an order with BB. Never ordered from them b4, so hopefully their international shipping isn't a killer!

KD, thanks! I usually buy my colorants from TKB, I never looked at the liquid colorant section, looks like I will need to buy that red in my next order! Thanks! :)

I used Berry Red from BB and I didn't measure it I'm sorry I just went by color. Red is my favorite color so I wanted a really red red. Hope you can get the red your looking for. I adore BB lab colors so I'd look to them for your reds.

I have two liquid reds - one is tomato from TKB and the other came in a set of 6 prime colors but can't think what the name of the company was. They're outside in my soap shed.

I forgot and put in TD in my mixing cup because I was going to do sweetgrass then changed my minde to peppermint!! So, I used a 1/4 tsp. first, it was light, so I added a small squirt more. It's a lovely deep pink but not baby pink color. Not red, but sorta close. I will use more next time as now I'm psyched to get a good red for the holidays!!

Thanks to all for sharing!! :)

Glassdoll,
I used my green silicone loaf pan and put in a cardboard divider the long way so that it was about at the 1/3 mark. Definitely lower than half. I poured white into the larger part and red into the smaller part and then carefully removed the divider. Then I poured the black along the line where the two colors met and I poured from high and low, so the color would go all the way through. For swirling, I just used a 1 inch wide strip of cardboard I cut from a soda carton- so it was thin and slightly flexible. I stuck it straight in at the color line and then turned it in a circle, in place (like winding something), 2-3 times and pulled straight back out. I liked the wave effect, but you have to make sure you use a non-accelerating FO or better yet, one that slows it down!

Oooo, I'm psyched. I just ordered the red lab color from BB. I haven't used any liquid colorants so this will be fun! Thanks for the photo, Teri!

No Hazel I am quite sure your correct I remember reading to mix the merlot sparkle with the red oxide but like yourself cannot remember where I read it

I know this is a really old thread, but I think it was my comment that is being referenced. I use a mixture of BB Merlot Mica and mix it with Brick Red Oxide to get a red. I have achieved a great red using this method in the past. Unfortunately, I don't write down ratios very often, so sometimes I get red, sometimes a dark pink, or sometimes wine. But, it does work for me.

I usually keep adding the red oxide until it looks right before I add it to the soap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back