Pomace or extra virgin OO?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llineb

Reaction score
What is the difference between these two olive oils and which one is the best for soaping? I know when it comes to food...extra virgin is the first press and always the best... but I wasn't sure which one is the best for soap.

Any good place to buy a organic OO?

Thanks!!!!!

I use both, no difference....you don't need the extra virgin oil,
grade A is fine and pomace, too.

EVOO is not the best for soap making. The cheaper kind is actually better. But, EVOO is all I can find in a large jug at the store, so I do use that. Still works!

Thanks so much...I'll check at Costco. Idid noticed the pictures of the Pomace oil were slightly yellow in color. I was wondering if that would make a more white soap vs the green EVOO? I also read that the Pomace speeds up trace and was thinking this might be a good thing with some of my recipes that take longer. :?

I have had success using Pomace Oil; created a white soap product by adding water based Titanium Dioxide to the lye/water mix.

MY OPINON: I don't like pomace. I just don't. It speeds trace, and the color is just a bit "taupe" when soaped. But more than this, when making a castile soap I tout it's quality, and for me pomace just doesn't qualify as "quality". Not because it's chemically extracted (most oils are) but because it's not the material that consumers believe they are getting - it feels too much like a lie for me.

Carebear.............rightly so, everyone has there own personal preference in butters, oils, and probably most notably fragrance. That is the magic of soap making; creting a product that reflects the properties that appeals to you or the market you are targeting. That is why I love this forum, a very diverse group.

I'm not a fan of pomace either.

I use a light olive oil that has a small percentage of EV and the majority is regular. I like it because its lighter in colour. I have found though that some brands of olive oil with higher EV in it are not so nice to use. The texture when blending seems different and in my experience it seems more likely to react with FO. I'm still testing this though, could just be my imagination.

I use pomace for the financial issue, I don't sell my soaps and can't justify spending the extra money when the lye is going to destroy the benefits anyway.

EDIT: On second thought I noticed a few weeks ago my supplier added EVOO to their webshop, checked the prices now and the difference is minimal I might try it next time I buy my oils.

Sounds like EVOO is a higher quality product. I just bought some a Costco...yay!

I guess I don't really understand what Pomace is. Is it oil pressed from the olive or the product extracted after the olives are pressed? It appears to be cloudy in the pic and not clear like EVOO.

Thanks again!

I do use Pomace unless I am making a soap that is being made with certified organic oils at which point I use EVOO. Personally I don't like EVOO, although I do like the blend I was buying from my supplier which was EVOO and Pomace. Made a nice soap.

khermsen you don't need TD to get a white soap with Pomace, your other oils are going to determine the colour. I've done Castille (100% OO) with Pomace and it was a wonderful white....

Lindy....good to know....right now the castile soap I made with pomace last week is a not to pretty beige/cream color. This soap will try my patience as it takes so long to cure.

Latest posts

Back