Needing advice on how to make a Honey Mead soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foresthome

Reaction score
Friends that have a local mead winery, asked if I could come up with a soap made from their mead. The first batch I made was a nice lfeeling bar, but it was lumpy and the coconut oil separated, leaving white specks in the soap. The second batch seized immediately and the coconut oil hardened and separated. I am rebatching it tomorrow.
I substituted frozen honey mead for all of the water in my normal bastile recipe. So I am thinking, next batch substitute mead for half the water, boil the alcohol out or it, and freeze it again.
My recipe is superfatted at 7 %.

OO 40 oz
CO 19 oz
Castor 5 oz
Water 23.1
Lye 8.1

Any other ideas?

get all the alcohol out of it, and also if you are using an FO, it may be your FO siezing your soap. could be the alcohol too though. :)

I make beer soaps and I use half water and the other half as beer. The beer is not fozen, but very cold with the alcohol boiled off.

I love to drink mead!! It is a wine so you might do a search on wine soaps and see if there is any hints and tips there.

Like the others have told you, cook off the alcohol and then split it so you are doing a 50:50 water:lye solution and then use the balance of your liquid as the mead.

And yeah I love drinking mead too.... :D

I love to drink mead!! It is a wine so you might do a search on wine soaps and see if there is any hints and tips there.
Sorry for bumping a couple year old thread but I'd like to mention that mead isn't technically a wine as wines are made with fruit(other than apple) and mead is made with honey. Just like sake is actually a beer as it is fermented from rice which is a grain. It is a completely different beast, the reason it is commonly called a wine is the similar fermenting style and the similar alcohol range. Sorry for correcting you too, it's just one of my eccentricities.

I think what Goldensungod said is really relevant, because mead has way more unfermented sugars in it than wine or even beer. So not only are you working with a liquid that has high alcohol content, but also high sugar content. Using it in place of only half the water is probably a good idea. I bet it'll make a nice soap when you get it down -- let us know!

Back