Distilled Water- How long is it good for...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandyanne

Reaction score
once you have opened it.
I am new to soapmaking and just made a one pound batch of soap- I only used about 6 oz out of the gallon.
I am storing it in the refridgerator but I need to know if at some point it needs to be tossed out?
Thanks!

I've kept it for months in the fridge but if you are concerned, you could measure out a few ounces and freeze it in individual containers or even ice cube trays.

It is good to know it will stay good in the fridge! Freezing it is a great idea too!
Thanks so much for your help!

It's just water. It won't go bad, and you don't need to keep it in the refrigerator. Just keep it tightly sealed in the original container. As long as it doesn't become contaminated, it will last forever.

Rob K said:
It's just water. It won't go bad, and you don't need to keep it in the refrigerator. Just keep it tightly sealed in the original container. As long as it doesn't become contaminated, it will last forever.

+100

That is good news!
I just wasn't sure if opening it and breaking the seal would cause bacteria after a while.

Brandyanne when you're making soap you can use tap water. The lye is going to kill the icky's because lye by its very nature destroys biologicals, look at what it does to your skin if you are unfortunate enough to spill some on yourself.

The only time you need distilled water is for lotion making and even then you can boil your water to kill all bacteria....

I've used sea water in soap with no ill effects.... If you have actual sand in your water then you can set it out to sit and settle out.

Minerals in my tap were never kind to my soap I always use distilled :)

I agree with the lye killing any badies in the water. But water doesnt last forever, if its from the tap and doesnt have any additives added it will go bad within a few months, the same is for bottled water once opended.

How do I know this? I live in a quake zone and we were without water for a long period of time. We also have to keep emergency kits on hand with bottled water, which have to have bleach added to ensure it has a long shelf life.

I thought that it would too. Going to have to make soap quickly to use it up!
Thanks

Wrong, once opened there's air in the bottle. Air + liquid = bacteria. Unless you add a (broad spectrum - covers you for mould, bacteria and yeast growth) preservative to it, you have 30 days (stored in dark, cool area - light and heat will help the bacteria multiply) to use it. The preservative will keep it good for 2 years, but check the pH before using it so not to interfere with the saponification process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back