salt bar weeping after 4 weeks cure!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeu

Reaction score
my salt bars are crying! why? how do i stop the weeping?

100% coconut oil salt bar with equal weight non ionized table salt.

dried fine and was curing with no issues until last week. made on 11/21.

live in los angeles and it is normally dry here, but we've been having rain on/off the last month. home is cooler (winter) but its not raining inside, so why the crying :( :cry:

i sent some off to nyc as gifts and hope they aren't weeping over there too

:oops:

any ideas? i got tired of them crying and tossed them in the oven.

yep, salt is hygroscopic so the salt bars "pull" water out of the air and it settles on the bars like dew. only thing you can do is store very dry or wrap air-tight once they are cured.

the weeping is a function of the air they are in, so unless it's humid where the recipients are, their bars should be fine.

Carebear, I'm in Florida along the coast... I gave up on them, they sweat too much for me to hassle with.... but my question is, after time of leaving it exposed to air and water droplets, will that cause the bars to become very easy to crumble? I've seen that in bars that I left out for experiment's sake.

I guess it could - a good part of the structure of the bars is salt, and if that salt dissolves you are left with a bar riddled with tiny holes...

That's exactly what it felt like :) You could break the bars in half like you would a bar of Ivory, and then crumble it like a boullion cube.

try drying them in a sealed plastic shoebox with plenty of rice in the bottom. it's worked wonders for my sugar scrubbies and for a couple of salt soap batches that were a little sweaty...

So I should cure them in a SEALED box? Im in florida and having so much issue with this sweating. I put them in a card board box with paper and it gets wetin places. Im not even sure how to mail/package them at this point!:cry:
which really sucks cause i LOVE them and so do my friends! plese help!

my salt bars are crying! why? how do i stop the weeping?

100% coconut oil salt bar with equal weight non ionized table salt.

dried fine and was curing with no issues until last week. made on 11/21.

live in los angeles and it is normally dry here, but we've been having rain on/off the last month. home is cooler (winter) but its not raining inside, so why the crying :( :cry:

i sent some off to nyc as gifts and hope they aren't weeping over there too

:oops:

any ideas? i got tired of them crying and tossed them in the oven.

that is interesting, I live in LA county and none of my 6 salt batches have been sweating. During rain, if we ever get any, they may or may not sweat some but they always re-dry with no issues. I would put a fan on them and if that does not work you can make a drying try with a rack on top of silica, used for drying flowers. You can also put a box over the tray

This thread is 4 years old, Aliceswonderhands, you may want to start a new thread to ask your question.

I use fine sea salt from the grocery store or even the dollar store, non-iodized, I live in the swamps, and I have never had a problem with my bars sweating. I use 20% salt to oil weight and find that is plenty salty, so amount may be a factor.

Latest posts

Back