Oven with CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonix

Reaction score
First of all, soap making is so much fun!!! I started about 7 batches ago, and haven't had a botched batch yet (knocks on wood...).

My only issue is this, I'm a very impatient person and want my soap done quicker than having to let it cure for weeks. So I find myself starting to use it as soon as I don't get zapped. Of course these bars don't last as long as if I were to be patient and let them cure but I just can't help myself!

I've heard of and seen videos of people mentioning using their oven on the lowest temperature it would go to cure the soap so it's usable almost instantly, or rather a lot quicker than letting it sit for weeks.

Is there a specific method for this? Does it differ depending upon recipe?

Hello neonix, and welcome to the forum! :)

This is just my opinion, but to me, there's just no substitute for a good cure. Others might think differently because we all experience the 'feel' of our soap differently, but to me, cure goes beyond reaching the stage of being safe to use because there is no longer any zap. While it's true that soap is perfectly fine to use as long as it doesn't zap, I personally find that letting it age longer beyond the point of no zap is very beneficial in terms of increased longevity, increased mildness, and increased lathering abilities. I age or cure mine for at least 4 weeks. Although it gets even better beyond that, 4 weeks is when I've found my soap to be at its earliest best.

I've heard of and seen videos of people mentioning using their oven on the lowest temperature it would go to cure the soap so it's usable almost instantly, or rather a lot quicker than letting it sit for weeks.

You may be talking about the OHP method (Oven Hot Process)? I do that on occassion when I'm using an ornery FO that doesn't work well in CP (Cold Process). OHP is where you bring your soap to trace and then cook it in the oven at about 270 degreesF until it reaches the gel stage, at which point you check for zap. If there's no zap, you add your FO and colorants to it and then pour or glop the batter into your mold. When hardened, the soap is ready to use right away, but in my opinion (once again :wink: ), it still benefits from at least a few weeks cure- maybe not as long as CP, but still a bit longer than 'right away'. If used right away, it will still disappear way too fast.

Or, maybe you are talking about CPOP? This is where you make your soap as usual, fragrance it, color it, then pour it into your mold at trace, and then you place your mold into a warm oven overnight? To me, all this does is force the soap to go through gel which, although good, does not (to me) equal up to all the noticably beneficial changes that take place in my soap through a good cure.

IrishLass :)

Thanks!! CPOP sounds like what I was thinking about....I just actually put a mold into the warmed oven (preheated to 170 degrees, then shut off when the soap went in) I'll check it before I go to bed tonight and see what happened! I have a twin batch sitting wrapped up in a towel like normal CP so I can see if there's a difference if any. And if there's one thing I've learned about soap making, any little thing you do different will make a difference in the outcome of your soap.

How Long?

Just wondering.... on the CPOP, I pre-heated my oven to 170 degrees, made my soap, put it in the mold, turned my oven off (just left the light on inside the oven) and then put my freshly poured CP into the oven.

I just checked on it (put it in the oven around 2 PM this afternoon -- it's 8:30 PM and the soap is definitely gelling.... it's transparent and very soft.

My question is, how long do I leave it in the oven?

I take my soap out as soon as it's fully gelled. I don't want the soap to overheat. I cut it when it's complete cooled off. I still wait a minimum of 2 weeks for this type of soap.

I too think CPOP basically just ensures gel. The only batch I really do this with is salt bars. I put them in a 170 F degree oven, turn off the oven, and let go through gel for 4-5 hours, then cut. I have a lot less crumbling since I started doing them this way.

I nearly always CPOP. I have yet to do a Goatsmilk - which I won't be able to CPOP, but otherwise it is CPOP for me.

My reasons:
It does insure gel.
Instead of 6 weeks cure, I feel more comfortable using it within 3.
It helps to evaporate some of the water out to harden more quickly.
I think it helps to anchor my fragrance also.
It makes my house smell good. :D

Why can't you do Goatsmilk in CPOP? Does something weird happen to it?
I always use CPOP and was planning on trying some Goatsmilk soap soon.

Milk soaps (or any soap with added sugar, so honey soaps too) tend to overheat even without the help of a warm oven.

But most of us need to figure out the particulars of gel for ourselvs, so who knows - maybe you can OP yours. It'll depend on your mold, your temps, your formula...

Back