My Cut Soap Was Sticky

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelli

Reaction score
I went and cut my first batch of soap today. I got a book from the library and followed the instructions exactly for hot process slow-cooker soap. It set in a day, rather than the suggested 4-6 hours. Then, I unmolded it, and cut it. The cut edges are very sticky. Is this normal? Should I have "cured" the soap? I thought you only had to wait for CP soap - was I mistaken? Thank you for putting up with my newbie questions :wink:
Shellie

With slow cooker soap you just have to let it set up to cut it. I usually let my soap set for a day. My soaps are always a little tacky right when I cut it but given just a little while to dry it goes away. Even hot process soaps are better if given a week or two to cure.

If it's really sticky then it might be due to the oils and amount of water used.

Well - it's hard to say. I would be sure to give it the recommended 4 weeks cure time, though. (yes even for HP, really). Might not be ready in time for Christmas, but I don't really recommend giving a first batch (understatement) as gifts anyway!

What recipe did you use, exactly? And how did you measure things (how accurate is your scale?)

It takes time to get things right, and practice. And practical learning. You've dug in = now keep at it!

(typically we cut soap for the cure period, so you are in a good place, assuming the recipe is ok)

Well - it's hard to say. I would be sure to give it the recommended 4 weeks cure time, though. (yes even for HP, really).

Wow. I didn't know that! I have one bar in the shower already... :) I am the epitome of impatient. I picked the wrong hobby, didn't I? LOL As it stands, I waited a few days and it was less sticky. At least the rest of the bars will sit...

What recipe did you use, exactly? And how did you measure things (how accurate is your scale?)

OK, lets see if I remember. I had to give the book back to the library yesterday... 24 ozs each of canola and olive oil, 2 ozs of castor, and I think 6 ozs of coconut, although I could be wrong on that. Then, 7.5 ozs of lye. About 20 drops of lemongrass oil just before I poured it into the molds. The scale is a postal scale, and I measured each item seperately.

It takes time to get things right, and practice. And practical learning. You've dug in = now keep at it!

So, you're telling me to be patient... :roll: :wink: I think I may be able to do that... :lol:

(typically we cut soap for the cure period, so you are in a good place, assuming the recipe is ok)

Cool. The rest of the bars will be in a good place then! Do I wrap or cover them for the cure? Currently I have them sitting on wax paper that is wrapped over them.

Thank you for your expertise, and for dealing with my newb probs! :)

Oh you can use it right away, but it WILL improve with time - and don't you want to see just how good it can get? I always use it right out of the mold cuz I cannot help myself, but I never judge a soap (or share it!!!) until it's got a few weeks under it's wee belt. No one has ever accused ME of being patient LOL.

Those oils - well canola is very DOS prone, and olive is too. So I'm afraid those bars MAY not last that long. You will know when the soaps are going rancid when the develop yellow - orange spots on them and they start feeling sticky and smelling off. But maybe you will be lucky. To try to avoid it in these soaps, keep them cool-ish (not refrigerator or outdoors in the winter or anything, just not hot and humid) and give them room to breathe - that means not packaging and putting on racks. Oh, not on chromed racks though. Laying a paper towel or other paper over the soaps loosely is a good idea, to keep off dust. Not sure about waxed paper - I might go for something that will let air through.

Back