Salt bar too hard to cut

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NANCYB

Reaction score
I made my first salt bar. Tried to cut after 12 hrs in mold and now its crumbly and falls apart when cutting.

I think I should have cut sooner, like about 2 hrs afters pouring, right?

Question is, what do I do now?

Please can anybody shed some light on this predicament I'm in. (Darn first real problem since I started)

Thanks sooo much!

Mized at around 110

Just adding to my first post.

Used 80% coconut, castor and corn oil. Mixed at 110.

I cut while my salt bars are still hot enough to burn my fingers if I'm not careful.

But what do I do now

Hi Carebear:

Thanks for your reply, I realize now my mistake, I should have cut much sooner. But too late for that, any suggestions. Can I rebatch.

Microwave worked

In case anyone interested, thought I would post my little experiment.

I microwaved with a little water at intervals of 30 seconds on full power. Melted down about 1/2 lb. Poured into small mold and cut within minutes. It worked.

Grating that hard salt soap is really hard work though.

Hurray, think I saved this batch

Thanks Kitn, not only did I save my batch but I learned how to rebatch.

All in all a good day.

Re: But what do I do now

NANCYB said:
Hi Carebear:

Thanks for your reply, I realize now my mistake, I should have cut much sooner. But too late for that, any suggestions. Can I rebatch.
I'm glad you do.

I waited overnight for my first batch and as you can imagine I ran into the same problem. Second time I waited just until it was cool - maybe 2-3 hours and it was STILL too late.

It wasn't until someone told me to cut while it's still actually HOT that I got nice smooth cuts.

Live and learn

Hey carebear, life would be boring without our little traumas!

I just finished rebatching the last of the soap and it's really pretty, I used Lavender eo and a bit of alkanet root, its a pretty mauve.

Cant wait to try, hope they are as great as everyone is raving about

They take a little... attitude adjustment. But I do love my soap bars. They are more gentle than you would imagine, and the lather is like nothing you've ever seen before. They lather better with a pouf. And they improve with age.

I love all my soaps! And for some reason salt bars last FOREVER and because I'm an anal one-bar-in-the-shower-at-a-time person I get frustrated!

I've never had the nerve to soap with alkanet. Yours sound lovely.

Latest posts

Back