Cp hard bar to cp liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
*****Transferred from another thread to start a New Topic.*****

NOTE: This new thread is about converting Candice's CP Shampoo Bar for Pets to Liquid Soap, as requested by a customer. All the cautions in the old thread about using lye-based shampoo for dogs should be kept in mind and better suited to a separate Topic for a New Thread -- maybe someone could copy that from the old thread as well. :???: Having said that, please feel free to chime in as always. TIA

I need a recipe for shampoo/liquid soap that is more on the natural side, and my client wants to put neem oil in it. Is this possible with the liquid style? I haven't found any info on neem oil in liquid soap recipes.

Post your recipe for suggestions for LS. I've never used neem in LS. but I'm guessing it would be possible at 1%. Not sure. I would want to know what purpose it serves?

Neem oil is good at repelling pests and insects, and is good for skin and hair, thats why i use it in the pet shampoo bars.
Got it. Thanks, Candice. Perhaps someone with experience using Neem in LS will advise how much to use to be effective. Otherwise, I see no harm in using the % in your hard bar formula.

My recipe for this bar soap is as follows at 7% superfat

10.50 oz-76 degree organic coconut oil
10.50 oz- cold pressed organic olive oil
8.40 oz cold pressed grapeseed oil
5.04 oz neem oil
4.20 oz raw organic shea butter
3.36 oz castor oil
1.25 oz lemongrass essential oil
5.65 oz sodium hydroxide
13.86 oz distilled water
4 tsp diatomaceous earth
2 tsp kaolin clay

Thanks for posting this. It's very helpful. It also looks to be an awesome shampoo bar!

So first I converted your formula to %'s to make it easier to reconfiigure:

25% coconut oil
25% olive oil
20% grapeseed oil
12% neem oil
10% shea butter
8% castor oil

The clays are eliminated cuz they can cause clogging. The lemongrass EO is optional, but it doesn't get added until after the process.

IMO and IME the easiest way to help CP soapmakers to ease into making LS successfully is to learn to make LS the cold process way, just as you would hard bars, i.e., no crockpot needed and that takes a LOT of guess work out of how long to cook and judging when the base is fully saponified and ready for dilution.

I just posted "Cold Process LS for Beginners" and "What to Expect from Various Oils in LS" -- in separate threads. Please read those posts before moving on.

Okay, to save time, we'll use "Cold Process LS for Beginners" as a guide to formulate the LS by using SoapCalc to resize the batch to 16 ounces and to determine the amount of KOH and water to use:

4 oz coconut oil 25%
4 oz olive oil 25%
3.2 oz grapeseed oil 20%
2 oz neem oil 12% (rounded)
1.6 oz shea butter 10%
1.25 oz castor oil 8% (rounded)
16 oz. TOTAL

2.3 oz KOH (0% SF)
4.6 oz Water (2X KOH)

So, there ya go! Put it together following the guidelines in the CP LS post. Once you get to full trace, stop there. Cover and forget about it for two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried 10% neem in liquid soap and ended up tossing it. The neem was way to strong, and I like neem in soap. I use it at 20% in bar soap and it smells fine. I would keep the neem at 5% in LS
Great! Good to know! Thank you, Carolyn! (HUG)

Why wait 2 weeks?
I can't predict how the neem oil and shea butter will behave at this point. I have no experience with those two ingredients. So, I've found that's the optimum time it takes for any problems to show up -- a film or whatever floating on top -- sediment settling on the bottom. Allowing the soap to do it's thing before moving on to the next step just makes it easier (for me) to correct. Once we have clear soap, I 'spect we'll be adding some goodies.

Correction:
Why wait 2 weeks?
Oopsie... this response pertains to the Sequester Phase.
I can't predict how the neem oil and shea butter will behave at this point. I have no experience with those two ingredients. So, I've found that's the optimum time it takes for any problems to show up -- a film or whatever floating on top -- sediment settling on the bottom. Allowing the soap to do it's thing before moving on to the next step just makes it easier (for me) to correct. Once we have clear soap, I 'spect we'll be adding some goodies.
Arimara's question pertains to making the soap. When making COLD PROCESS LIQUID SOAP, you bring the batch to trace and stop there. Then it takes about 2 weeks (more or less in my experience) for the soap to be fully saponified, tests neutral, and is ready for dilution. :)

Correction:

Oopsie... this response pertains to the Sequester Phase.

Arimara's question pertains to making the soap. When making COLD PROCESS LIQUID SOAP, you bring the batch to trace and stop there. Then it takes about 2 weeks (more or less in my experience) for the soap to be fully saponified, tests neutral, and is ready for dilution. :)

There is no need to get the soap to trace. Just get it emulsified, put a lid on it, and walk away. Check it every half hour or so and when you see gel, zap test and dilute. Generally takes me under an hour from weighing out the first ingredient to start of dilution. No need for "sequestering" or any other delay. If it gelled (by itself, no need for heat or anything else), and there is no zap on the zap test, it is fully saponified and ready for dilution and use.

So much to learn, so little time...in the hare and tortoise race I am definitely the tortoise......................

There is no need to get the soap to trace. Just get it emulsified, put a lid on it, and walk away. Check it every half hour or so and when you see gel, zap test and dilute. Generally takes me under an hour from weighing out the first ingredient to start of dilution. No need for "sequestering" or any other delay. If it gelled (by itself, no need for heat or anything else), and there is no zap on the zap test, it is fully saponified and ready for dilution and use.
thanks Susie , this is what I am trying to tell Zany but she does not listen at all ;) Oh boy

thanks Susie , this is what I am trying to tell Zany but she does not listen at all ;) Oh boy
LOL Dahila, I DO listen, but I don't always agree. :) I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are about as many different ways to make LS as there are LS'ers. In this particular case, I'm addressing Cold Process LS not Crockpot LS, which is what I think you and Susie are speaking to. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It is easy to get the two confused. You may have missed this -- Quote from Post #1
IMO and IME the easiest way to help CP soapmakers to ease into making LS successfully is to learn to make LS the cold process way, just as you would hard bars, i.e., no crockpot needed
About the 2-week sequester -- IMO based on my experience, the 2-week sequester is important, especially as this recipe contains 12% neem and 10% shea butter. Whatever doesn't saponify during the process will settle out to the bottom or rise to the top. The sequester period provides the opportunity to correct these problems should they occur. :thumbs:

ETA:
COLD PROCESS LS FOR BEGINNERS
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/cold-process-ls-for-beginners.62863/

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM VARIOUS OILS IN LS
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/what-to-expect-from-various-oils-in-ls.62864/

Last edited:
There is no need to get the soap to trace. Just get it emulsified, put a lid on it, and walk away. Check it every half hour or so and when you see gel, zap test and dilute. Generally takes me under an hour from weighing out the first ingredient to start of dilution. No need for "sequestering" or any other delay. If it gelled (by itself, no need for heat or anything else), and there is no zap on the zap test, it is fully saponified and ready for dilution and use. HTH people who don't know better!
@Susie If it isn't too much trouble, I think it would be even more helpful if you would add the link to Irish Lass's excellent LS tutorial which describes your method in detail. TIA

Back