Want to learn how to dye wool -- asking for tips!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might of spent some "productive" time in front of the television browsing through that Etsy store. I now need to learn to make or this for every baby shower that I am forced to go to until the end of time.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/238406...ppers-set-in-any-color?ref=shop_home_active_4

I used to make my sons leather shoes when they were babies. I'd buy the leather from Tandy (we had one in the town where I lived) and cut them to a pattern I got somewhere, adjusting to the size of their tiny feet. Then sewed them on my sewing machine. I was always in fear that one would get lost. All that hard work (it wasn't really hard) to be lost by a baby kicking his feet.

I love those gorgeous elven booties with matching elf hat, but that's what I envision, some little baby loosing one bootie or the hat falling to the floor and being lost forever. After all your hard work! They are absolutely adorable, though and I say go for it!

But maybe I only think this way because my baby brother was always purposefully throwing his prescription shoes out the window of the car when my dad was driving down the freeway. He hated those shoes!

Navigator -- If I'm not careful, I'm going to be cruising Livemaster and saving tutorials until dawn. Sheesh, you're a bad influence, just BAD I tell ya.

I've seen a few yurt felt-making videos, but not all the ones you shared. I love the ones where they show a horse or a camel pulling the bundled wool around the plain. I have limited bandwidth (satellite internet) so I don't dare watch too many videos, but I'll try to sneak a peek at a few from your list that I've not seen.

Awhile back I stumbled across a video or article describing a distinctive felted coat traditionally worn by a certain group of Eastern European men. The shoulders of the coat are unusual in that shoulder flares out into an exaggerated point a little like some fantasy costumes. I can't find the article or video. Grrr. I'll keep looking...

MMI -- the baby boots with curled toes and matching hat ... yeah, super adorable stuff!

Scooter -- Felting is a lot like soap. You can just "do it" without thinking too much and simply enjoy the activity and let your creative muse run free. Or you can also get into the technology of how it works if you want. As an engineer, learning about the technology is reassuring, but I appreciate how felting also encourages me to be more artsy fartsy, because in felting (as in soaping) you can't entirely control the outcome, no matter how hard you try. It's a fascinating hobby that pairs well with soap making, IMO.

Wow these are really great.

Jeez, though, reading this forum has already gotten me hooked on making no-knead bread (next in line is potica (!) and after that body butter)... I'm afraid if I keep reading this forum I will have too many hobbies.
:)

So many crafts, so little time! It's fun to try your hand at many and see which ones stick.

Navigator -- If I'm not careful, I'm going to be cruising Livemaster and saving tutorials until dawn. Sheesh, you're a bad influence, just BAD I tell ya.

I've seen a few yurt felt-making videos, but not all the ones you shared. I love the ones where they show a horse or a camel pulling the bundled wool around the plain. I have limited bandwidth (satellite internet) so I don't dare watch too many videos, but I'll try to sneak a peek at a few from your list that I've not seen.

Awhile back I stumbled across a video or article describing a distinctive felted coat traditionally worn by a certain group of Eastern European men. The shoulders of the coat are unusual in that shoulder flares out into an exaggerated point a little like some fantasy costumes. I can't find the article or video. Grrr. I'll keep looking...

MMI -- the baby boots with curled toes and matching hat ... yeah, super adorable stuff!

Scooter -- Felting is a lot like soap. You can just "do it" without thinking too much and simply enjoy the activity and let your creative muse run free. Or you can also get into the technology of how it works if you want. As an engineer, learning about the technology is reassuring, but I appreciate how felting also encourages me to be more artsy fartsy, because in felting (as in soaping) you can't entirely control the outcome, no matter how hard you try. It's a fascinating hobby that pairs well with soap making, IMO.

Ohhhh that baby in the cabbage, and the dragon! People's level of artistry and imagination never fails to surprise and inspire me. So glad you're enjoying the tutorials. Watching tutes like those always gets my creative juices flowing when I've been in a slump. I just wish I had the kind of imagination expressed in pieces like these. The first is a favorite because I used to do that with my cats when I was a little girl. I had completely forgotten about that until I saw this piece. I just love it. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/349169777345191509/ And then there's this trio that just makes me melt. https://tokyobling.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/home-sweet-home-minami-kawasaki/ When you think of how felting started, by people putting wool in their shoes so they wouldn't get blisters, and then see how far it's come...amazing. Oh, and thanks for the tip on shrinkage rates, I'm sure that will come in handy. :D

I'm another one for using kool aid to test things. I (sometimes) spin and needlefelt/wet felt. I've used kool aid and it looks cool, but I always hated the fact that it will smell "fruity" for quite a while! Mine didn't bleed too much, but then, I've only ever used already dyed for things that were wet felted. :)

Have fun with it though!

This has been a fun thread to participate in -- thank you all for your neat ideas, sage advice, and links to beautiful and interesting project ideas. I finally placed an order at Dharma for dyes and Gail Callahan's "Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece" book. Thanks especially to MakeMineIrish -- your thoughts helped me work through my paralysis of analysis ;) and decide on a reasonable range of colors with a minimum of angst. I think Callahan's book will be super hepful. I'm looking forward to this little adventure!

Just couldn't resist -- here's a pic of Auntie Clara's (Clara Lindberg) latest soaps. She dissolved angora fiber in the lye as an alternative to the usual silk. This fits right in with my interest in felting and soaping -- I have some lovely llama that might do just as nicely.

17015782_10155460483138812_3021845892072465803_o.jpg

Links to Clara's website: http://auntieclaras.com/
and her facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/clara.lindberg

AAAGH! I've just taught myself to crochet, am now trying Tunisian crochet, and have been eyeballing how to dye websites. You are all enablers!

My contribution is an entire site devoted to mixing up custom colors using Koolaid or other grocery store stuff. http://www.dyeyouryarn.com/kool-aid.html Youre welcome :)

Last edited:
Neat website, Seawolfe -- I'm going to enjoy checking this out in detail. Thanks for sharing!

Oh that Auntie Clara...her soaps are simply beautiful! You'll have to report on how the llama fiber works out for you DeeAnna. :)

Back