First big error

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smeetree

Reaction score
I knew it would happen sooner than later.

Batch #18. This batch might be a disaster. Forgot to infuse the Alkanet Root into olive. That was problem #1. But I'm also breaking in a new mold and didn't pour high enough, so the bar was too short. I then had to add more batter on to it, but I had already done swirls! Uh oh.

I'm hoping the random chaos winds up looking good, but seems more likely I will be bumping that "ugly soap" thread!

Once I realized the bar was too short [yet I had done the swirl], I panicked. I wasn't sure if I should just keep the bar short or what. Instead I poured the batter on top and swirled again, figuring if I didn't swirl there's be like .25" of solid color on top of the original swirl, which would just be odd. God I am scared to see this thing in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? That is your first big error? I have reprocessed at least 5 or 6 batches of soap... And I've only made about 20!

Haha. thanks now I feel better. My brother requested a loaf for christmas, so I'm really bummed.

You should pat yourself on the back...that error doesn't even sound that bad really. I think you handled the mistakes perfectly too!

Really? I was curious if you guys would have left the nice top/swirls but shorter bar or added the batter. I wasn't sure what to do because both options stunk!

Definition of disaster: Walking across the kitchen with the soap batter, stepping on the cat and feet go flying. The soap batter is thrown all over your cabinets and kitchen. While grabbing the countertop to pull your self up, you realize it is slick with batter. As such, you pull the freezer paper you lined the counter with off on top of you. Seeing how it was covered in your colorant bowls, measured out fragrance and the activated charcoal container, you now have a psychedelic kitchen floor and a wonderful black dust on everything, including yourself. The room may always smell like lavender and patchouli now. :)

I'd say your's was just a little snafu on your planned outcome, but it'll be fine. I also think you'd have been fine either swirling the added batter or leaving it as a base color with a swirled portion. I've seen some great looking soaps done that way. It's all good.

Last edited:
It doesn't sounds like a disaster at all!
I was making a batch last night a small try out of a new recipe and it wouldn't trace if my life depend on it! I had only 3 colors that run together due to very thin consistency and ended up a broun log of soap! :problem: Sooo, very dissapointed but I'm thinking to make a balls from it and make it as a part of other batch! I can't loose any more right???

Another issue is it didn't start gelling until late in the night. When I went to bed at 12:30 it had not gelled (I made it earlier, like 8 or 9pm). At 330 I woke and looked, and it had finally started gelling, but it looked like maybe partial gel. For some reason this one didn't seem to generate heat. I did mix the oils at a little lower temp than usual, and this is a new, wood mold with a silicon liner inside, and I didn't think I needed to line it. I've never had a batch partial gel (still not sure if it's partial; I need to look but I'm scared haha) or take that long to gel.

so it did gel completely, but the color is atrocious, and the alkanet root is very speckled and just bad. wow.

i almost want to throw it out, but it's useable. the itself is fine just very very ugly

so it did gel completely, but the color is atrocious, and the alkanet root is very speckled and just bad. wow.

i almost want to throw it out, but it's useable. the itself is fine just very very ugly

Throw up some pics. The worse that can happen from soap plans that go astray is you learn something from it. Figure out what went wrong, or as I like to put it, what didn't work as right as I'd have liked. Make some notes, and you've got yourself a success.

Did you end up using alkenet powder instead of the infusion? I've only used alkenet once and I wasn't impresses with the powder, hoping that the infused OO will make a nicer color.

Did you end up using alkenet powder instead of the infusion? I've only used alkenet once and I wasn't impresses with the powder, hoping that the infused OO will make a nicer color.

I used the infused on a past lavender bar and it created a perfect lavender color. The power is BAD. Very speckled and the color is not right (more blue), though I did add too much. I'd suggest infusing it 2.5 tbsp per pound oil give or take.

I have alkenet infusing now, not sure how much I will use but the color is beautiful. Same with the indigo, the powder is hideous but infused its a great blue.
You know we want to see your soap...

Throw up some pics. The worse that can happen from soap plans that go astray is you learn something from it. Figure out what went wrong, or as I like to put it, what didn't work as right as I'd have liked. Make some notes, and you've got yourself a success.

How did this post at 2:56pm, when Smee's response that I quoted is time stamped at. 3:49. haha.

Anyways, post some pics smee.

Definition of disaster: Walking across the kitchen with the soap batter, stepping on the cat and feet go flying. The soap batter is thrown all over your cabinets and kitchen. While grabbing the countertop to pull your self up, you realize it is slick with batter. As such, you pull the freezer paper you lined the counter with off on top of you. Seeing how it was covered in your colorant bowls, measured out fragrance and the activated charcoal container, you now have a psychedelic kitchen floor and a wonderful black dust on everything, including yourself. The room may always smell like lavender and patchouli now. :)

I'd say your's was just a little snafu on your planned outcome, but it'll be fine. I also think you'd have been fine either swirling the added batter or leaving it as a base color with a swirled portion. I've seen some great looking soaps done that way. It's all good.
Now that is what I call a disaster!! :grin: The short pour is just a minor correctable error. I would have poured the balance of the batter on top and textured it with a spoon. A plain layer can still look nice on a swirled soap

Last edited:
I think I made my 100% co laundry soap with 100% palm oil. Today it was crumbly and imposible to cut it :(( is there any way to know which of my buckets (I never put the what it is) is Co and which is Palm Oil? Maybe someone have some ideas..

I think I made my 100% co laundry soap with 100% palm oil. Today it was crumbly and imposible to cut it :(( is there any way to know which of my buckets (I never put the what it is) is Co and which is Palm Oil? Maybe someone have some ideas..
Your coconut oil should be much whiter than your palm, which should be a light to medium cream color

Back