What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a new soaper. You're the first person I've come across who wants a lye heavy soap. Why, because the oil was old? Is that going to stop the soap from going rancid?

If I remember the previous SMF experimentation; excess lye in a soap made with high water (full or excess - I don't remember) does eventually neutralize given plenty of time and exposure to air. The lye migrates to the surface of the soap.

I have also done a lye heavy soap. Mine was made with 80% cleaned bacon fat, so I was nervous about it not being cleaned enough and going bad. I made it lye heavy (I think -20% SF), used 25% lye concentration and let that soap sit for 6 months. It turned out lovely, but waiting for the extra lye to cure out was nerve wracking! I wasn't sure it would even work. It did, but not something I've done since.

ETA: Soapy stuff done = zero. I'm organizing projects at the moment.

Busy on an experiment. normally when I mould I just toss in the fridge and dont gel.so.i decided the leave my soap out and covered the one on the left for gelling and the one on the left no gel...exposed to air....The gel one is darker and could unmold easily unlike the unhealed one.soap layer has neem powder and blended nettle into.it hence the colour...hands crossed to see how final bars turn out after cure

Attachments

• 20190317_105726.jpg
    20190317_105726.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 17
I was up til 4am packaging 300 individual sugar scrubs and wax tarts and 2 Gift baskets Im donating for the Missing Persons Conference. they had to ship today to get there in time. Made a quadruple batch of body butter and a double batch of another version. Now, Im just sore and dont think Ill be stirring or packaging anything else today.

I was up til 4am packaging 300 individual sugar scrubs and wax tarts and 2 Gift baskets Im donating for the Missing Persons Conference. they had to ship today to get there in time. Made a quadruple batch of body butter and a double batch of another version. Now, Im just sore and dont think Ill be stirring or packaging anything else today.

impressive

Stared at my soap making supplies. Sorted out colorants and scents and my thrift store containers for my multi colored pour in the near future.

I’m feeling a bit anxious about this one, seven colors, 10 pounds, fo is not known for ricing or acceleration.... I think I might be crazy.

Meh. What’s the worst the will happen? Ten pounds of soap chunks? Sure.
Wasted fo? Yep.
Lumpy box of soap? Possibly.

Wish me luck!

Gosh, those are lovely! Your stamp is super cute!! Is that a hedgehog? Love it to death! :) I want a stamp some day -- need to shop the possibilities now because I'm so inspired by your little critter!! :D
Yes a lil hedgehog , glad you like it .

Very cute! Love the look of your soap. How did you get the little spotty bits - are they oatmeal?
The spotty bits is plaintain skin i had used in another project. Thank you as well.
IMG_20190316_191100_546.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got impatient. Soaped at too high a temp. But, I did get a bit of green, gold and brown in my soap. There were supposed to be four different shades of green, and copper, gold, brown... oh well. I think it will be ok. The room is cold, and I didn’t insulate or cover and it’s pretty hot. If I have to rebatch , I rebatch.

:confused:

I received my WSP order last night. I don't know how I manage to do these things, but somehow I ordered Strawberry flavor oil instead of fragrance oil. Grrrrr... so I have to revamp the project I was going to do with the strawberry FO. I already had a strawberry flavor oil, but I actually like the new one better, so there's that I guess... The old one was CC Sugared Strawberry, I have to use it at 1% or less otherwise it ends up tasting chemically, so it was a pain to deal with in the qty that I make lip balms. Anyways, I spent the night brooding about my order fail and refiguring my idea. You see... I wanted to make a neopolitan layered soap with a piped "whipped topping" and cherry on top. (To clarify... not a piped top ala Royalty Soaps, just a lovely thick line of piping down the middle. I'm not crazy.) I think I'll have to refigure for a brownie sundae soap instead of the neopolitan idea. At least I'll still get to put that dang cherry on top of it. That's what started this whole mess in the first place. I decided I wanted to put a cherry embed on top of a soap, and that idea won't leave my head.

This week: I have to package soap and deliver to the brewery. I still have to portion out my new order of tallow and cocoa butter. I should masterbatch some oils as long as I'm dinking around. I want to do a batch of castile, zany's no slime castile, and a bastille soap to see how they all compare for a cure. I've seen people selling bastille at 8 weeks or less cure and I don't think that's possible with the amount of OO in it (assuming they do the "standard" 80% OO and 20% CO), but I want to be able to make my own decision so I'll prove myself wrong if need be. If nothing else, it gives me something to blog about. Anyways... I'm also hosting the April challenge so I have a few trial runs I need to do for that. I want to make sugar scrub and lip balms this week too. Yeah... sounds like I need to get my butt in the soap dungeon...

Just boiled this puppy down ready for my next batch. "Strawberry and Champagne fragranced.
View attachment 37592

so how are you using this in your soap? just asking cuz when I used the beer I let it sit out for a couple days uncovered and used as the water at 100%--I just made it last week and have used the end and its awesome and smells great. I have a stout to use cuz I want a darker bar but am looking for different input on how to use it

so how are you using this in your soap? just asking cuz when I used the beer I let it sit out for a couple days uncovered and used as the water at 100%--I just made it last week and have used the end and its awesome and smells great. I have a stout to use cuz I want a darker bar but am looking for different input on how to use it
I boiled down my beer. First to half volume and then a lil more just to see what it's like lol then I added it after my cook again slightly diluted and heated (kinda counter productive though lol).

I rebatched today. Made some butter bars but for some reason after month something just smells off. Not sure if I burnt any butters? Strange if I did because they did not smell strange when I had just made it. I colored it pink and scented with geranium blend, because I had spilled the pink mica while looking for something lol

I boiled down my beer. First to half volume and then a lil more just to see what it's like lol then I added it after my cook again slightly diluted and heated (kinda counter productive though lol).

I rebatched today. Made some butter bars but for some reason after month something just smells off. Not sure if I burnt any butters? Strange if I did because they did not smell strange when I had just made it. I colored it pink and scented with geranium blend, because I had spilled the pink mica while looking for something lol

I am assuming this was a HP soap? did it make the soap thinner so you could swirl? I didn't add any scent and just some TD to the top but it has a really good smell of beer to it--now the wait to see if the smell holds. oh and I did mine CP. the bubbles are nice now so hopefully that will get better with time also

I am assuming this was a HP soap? did it make the soap thinner so you could swirl? I didn't add any scent and just some TD to the top but it has a really good smell of beer to it--now the wait to see if the smell holds. oh and I did mine CP. the bubbles are nice now so hopefully that will get better with time also
Yep HP. I always add part of my water hot after the cook for fluidity. Not much, maybe if I was using 3:1 lye ratio for example I'll reserve 0.7 and only mix the 2.3 with the lye. The water also helps with additives. I dump my rice and coconu milk powders in there too.

Mine smells nice too.. Like a caramel-ly something hehehe

Latest posts

Back