Accidental Felting Job

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizflowers42

Reaction score
How does one accidentally felt a project you ask? Not understanding your fiber content is usually the first way to do it.

Back story: Just learned how to knit in 2007 (and I haven't advanced much from this), but I finally mastered the garter, stockinette, and rib stitches. I found the perfect pattern in a library book and set to it to make my short haired doxie a winter sweater. South Bend can get a large amount of lake effect snow in the winter in a short period of time, so little man needs to stay warm when he goes out in the snow, that usually is deeper than he is high.

Being the recycler I am people give me things. I had a large stash of yarn and I found 2 skeins of yarn that did not have labels on them. They were worsted weight and I had no idea they were 100% wool.

I knit, purled, and stitched together a sweet little sleeveless sweater for my Ollie. After 2 days of being on the road, I was done. Once home, I put it on Ollie and it was too big. So the brilliant idea was, maybe if I wash and dry it, it will fit!

Unfortunately, not knowing this was wool, once I took it out of the washing machine with some other t-shirts I realized my mistake. It had gotten very tight. I attempted to loosen and air dry, however it was too late.

Being the good sport my little guy is he allowed me to snap his photo. Later I went to Petsmart and purchased a pre-made doggie coat, that was water repellent.

312_583232201038_8822_n.jpg

Aww!! The look on his face is priceless LOL
Our doxie, Uncle Buck, will only let us dress him up in pink & purple clothes.

That doggie!!
Yea if you want to felt something to shrink to a particular size, you gotta watch it like a hawk and check it every 5-10 mins.
Also, if you know how to knit and purl, you can pretty much do any knitting pattern. Really. :D

I LOVE that picture! Truely priceless and made me laugh (which I needed)!!! We have a Doxi/Yorkie mix. He looks like a doxie though and I have seen that look many a times :D

Ollie doesn't look too happy. I use to have a black/tan daschund, they get some funny looks on their litte faces.

Nope he doesn't look happy at all, lol. Maybe it's because he's not wearing pink and purple like Uncle Buck! I didn't know Doxie's had signature colors.... ;)

oh my! he has a hysterical look on his face. I have felted things by accident too. but it may have been worth it to see that face.

Latest posts

Back