HP recipe. My daughter has eczema.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are welcome Squyars, shea has some of the same properties as latex. Although ironically I am not allergic to shea unless used on my lips and I am deadly allergic to latex. I do not usually use shea on myself since allergies can change from one day to the next. Sorry I was so long winded, but I get upset that most people do not realize how dangerous eczema can be. I spent most of my life going to the beach as much as possible to get in the salt water and when we sold our boat, which I stayed on every weekend, I went to making salt bars with pacific sea salt and a small amount of dead sea salt, which I do not recommend using without a lost of testing to get the correct percentage of DSS for your formula

Since I'm new at soap making,I think I will hold off until I get some more experience before making a salt bar. It sounds a bit tricky. Also figuring that I don't have to use every oil and the kitchen sink to make a good bar. I have made several experimental bars using a variety of oils; now just waiting for them to cure to see what works for me, and what doesn't.

Salt bars are really simple to make especially if you use a multi cavity silicone mold. The tricky part with salt bars is the cutting of them. 75% CO, 8% castor and 17 % butters or light oils make a great salt bar, using fine or a mix of fine and medium salt. I usually add in fine oatmeal to add a little extra scrub. Salt bars will get smooth and glassy. On Miller Soaps site there is a great recipe for Canolive and it makes a beautiful mild soap. I just finished I have had for a year in my soap bowl at the sink and it never came down with DOS. It was a fantastic gentle bar of soap using Olive & Canola

Salt bars are really simple to make especially if you use a multi cavity silicone mold. The tricky part with salt bars is the cutting of them. 75% CO, 8% castor and 17 % butters or light oils make a great salt bar, using fine or a mix of fine and medium salt. I usually add in fine oatmeal to add a little extra scrub. Salt bars will get smooth and glassy. On Miller Soaps site there is a great recipe for Canolive and it makes a beautiful mild soap. I just finished I have had for a year in my soap bowl at the sink and it never came down with DOS. It was a fantastic gentle bar of soap using Olive & Canola

Challenge accepted! Next bar.... salt.

I really want to make a salt bar but everyone talks about how hard it is. And I don't want to fail. :)

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Hi Jill,
My hubby has psoriasis (a relative of eczema) and I've been trying everything to get him off the cortico steroids. I have been studying herbal meds and now realize how bad the steroids are for him. So, I've made him bath wash infused with herbs and a peppermint lotion which helps some. Then I decided to make an Oat and Honey HP soap and this seems to help way more than even the lotion. This is the recipe I created for him.

Oat n Honey Castile Variation:
34oz Olive Oil- extra virgin
10oz Coconut Oil
4oz Crisco shortening
2oz Apricot Oil
6.83oz Lye abt. 5-6% superfat (please check a lye calculator first to be sure)
19oz cold spring water
When almost done add 5 Tbs Honey, it will go very dark and sizzle. Then mix in a slurry of ground oats, which is 5 Tbs of Oats and 4-5 Tbs of water, I used quick oats and ground them first in a coffee grinder.
The soap has a nice smell with pretty good suds. I have used it a few times this week and I think it is helping with the old people skin that is coming with age:)lol

I hope this might help your daughter. It seems to help the itching for my husband and the red welts that accompany the issue. Nothing will take it away completely, so trying to find them at least some relief makes it easier for them.

Is there a way to make this as a CP soap? My step daughter gets dermatitis in the winter and I think this would be great for her to use.

I really want to make a salt bar but everyone talks about how hard it is. And I don't want to fail. :)

The biggest mistake I see people make is using to coarse a salt. I always mix approx 3/4 fine to 1/4 medium grain salt. If I don't have it as thick as I want I just use table salt to fill in. LOL, kinda like making pie dough I go by feel! You should have no problems if you use a silicone with individual cavities. The round or square work well. They do not need to go in the oven. This is my Kelpie Salt bar
IMG_0113_zps836086fb.jpg

The biggest mistake I see people make is using to coarse a salt. I always mix approx 3/4 fine to 1/4 medium grain salt. If I don't have it as thick as I want I just use table salt to fill in. LOL, kinda like making pie dough I go by feel! You should have no problems if you use a silicone with individual cavities. The round or square work well. They do not need to go in the oven. This is my Kelpie Salt bar
IMG_0113_zps836086fb.jpg
Those look great. I've only done 9 batches so far, so I think I'll do a few more before attempting the salt bar. But I'll remember what you said. Thanks

Awesome! I try to soap around 100°, would that be too hot? If so should I put it in the fridge/freezer since I use a wooden mold?

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

I personally soap any soaps with honey at room temp and put them in the freezer for a couple of hrs. Overheating can cause problems that can only be solved with rebatching. Actually most of my soaping is room temp

I love the idea of Castille soap made with goat's milk. Will buy some GM tomorrow. I'm always looking for a recipe for a gentle soap for my son who has eczema. I made my first Castille soap about a month ago, but it won't be ready to use until around Easter.

I love the idea of Castille soap made with goat's milk. Will buy some GM tomorrow. I'm always looking for a recipe for a gentle soap for my son who has eczema. I made my first Castille soap about a month ago, but it won't be ready to use until around Easter.

If he has itchy eczema a little lavender added is quite soothing. Castille soap really does not have to age 6 months to be nice

Just a word of caution about adding lavender EO - while many people with skin conditions can use it safely (and it is beneficial for some), there are people with eczema or atopic dermatitis that react very badly to lavender ...... So I'd leave the Castile unscented, just in case.

Latest posts

Back