Color Bleeding in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirafly24

Reaction score
Do colorants bleed as readily in CP soap as they do in MP?

The impression I had was that they would...but I see many people making multicolored swirls with Labcolors. Will these beautiful swirls eventually start bleeding into each other? Or does the cold process change something so that they don't bleed?

I would appreciate any insight you have into this subject!

Most dyes will bleed - but pigments won't (oxides, ultramarines, etc). I don't have any experience with LabColors so I'll let someone else chime in for those...

In my CP's I've not had much luck with the couple of oxides I've used, but I've made some gorgeous swirls and coloured layers using micas ... especially the pop micas. No bleeding!

I use oxides and ultramarines in CP and haven't had any bleeding in the bars. However I've had colored suds on occasion from adding too much pigment.

I have used a fair amount of oxides as well, they have not bled, but it is hard to judge the amount to use, as I have had colored bubbles as well.

Thank you for replying :)

What about Labcolors? I know that those will bleed in M&P...will they also bleed in CP?

Does anyone have any photos of CP soap where the color has bled? I would love to see them if you do!

Finally have an answer to the original question

Hi:
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to know the answer myself i.e. had anyone experienced bleeding over time with Labcolours. I think I have an answer.

Here's my experience:
Fresh cut bars from December 2010:
p865701334-3.jpg

Same batch, November 2011:
p992707304-3.jpg

The colour used was purple, with a little black, in a mostly veg oil mix, with small amount of tallow. The soap is absolutely awesome now that it has cured well, but the colour ... um, not so much LOL.

Wow, if you had told me that, I don't think I would have believed it. That is terrible! I bought one thing of purple lab color to try and I dont think I will buy more after seeing this. I have a bar of soap a year old swirled with cocoa powder and it looks just like the day I cut it.

:shock: WoW!! That's unbelievable!! Also very nice to know, even though I've never really had a mind to switch from the mica's I've always used. I've never seen anything like that with them.

ha that's crazy! I stick to micas... don't know why other than I've had good luck with them other than fading. I should try some oxides/ultramarines.

I've just tried a colour from Hobbycraft, as soon as I stirred it in, the colour disappeared, I'm well annoyed, the whole batch also set too fast for me to be able to get it into my silicone cupcake moulds, so I'm going to have to rebatch and just loaf mould it. The bottle had Spa craft colours soap & bubble bath making written on the label.

Re: Finally have an answer to the original question

LabWitch said:
Hi:
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to know the answer myself i.e. had anyone experienced bleeding over time with Labcolours. I think I have an answer.

Do you happen to know long it took until bleeding was visible ? I mean how early can the warning signs be spotted ?

Unfortunately the bleeding is very slow, and therefore very subtle. Add that to the fact that the soap was stored away in a box and I only occasionally looked at it, and it made it hard to tell. I didn't go back and look at the photo's either for comparison--otherwise I might have been able to comment sooner. I really can't say when it was apparent there was a problem.

Sure is a dramatic change though!

Cirafly24 said:
Thank you for replying :)

What about Labcolors? I know that those will bleed in M&P...will they also bleed in CP?

Does anyone have any photos of CP soap where the color has bled? I would love to see them if you do!

Yes, lab colors do bleed in CP soap. Some bleed more than others...but they do.

Latest posts

Back