I want to make a coconut, olive and almond bar- recipes please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missmoneypenny

Reaction score
I managed to get hold of some coconut oil which i understand makes for a good lather.To counteract drying properties, I'm planning on using olive and almond too. Do these proportions sound OK?
Coconut 200g
Olive oil 250 g
Almond oil 50 g
Thanks for advice

Coconut oil makes great bubbles but is also very drying to the skin as it strips away our natural oils. Most recipes call for a maximum of 30% coconut and yours is at 40 so maybe lower it and up olive then check on soap calc

You might get more feedback if you post this in the recipe section.

Olive, coconut and almond recipe

I am new at soap making and so far have made a 100% olive oil bar, and a 50:50 OO and lard bar. Now I want tomake something with OO, coconut and almond. I have eczema and I m keen it shouldn't be drying. Can anyone suggest a recipe? Thank you.

Thanks Hazel! I'll give it a go an post the results in 4 weeks (earlier if there's anything to report).

You're welcome! You might find the bastile recipe needs a longer cure because of the high percentage of olive. It depends on what you like. I prefer to let bastile soap cure for 6-9 months, people have mentioned varied cure periods of 4 weeks, 2 months, 3 months, etc. It all depends on your opinion of olive oil in soap.

Yes Aleppo soap which is 100% OO is cured for 9 months. I've put my other 3 bars unzip lock bags and will b ring them out next year. Quite pleased so far with the 50:50 lard OO soap be cause I used lavender infused OO and the fragrance is still coming through.

just raise the superfatting for the CO. personally I love CO, and ive made 100% CO bars and just raised superfatting. its really not that big of a deal

throw this onto a calc and see what you make of it. if superfatting is low, raise it up. and OO will make a harder bar. I think the last bar I made is 60% CO 30% OO and 10% castor. I believe I still left super fatting at a fairly low level so I can see how it is, It may potentially be a laundry detergent in the long run, I think super fat should be at 30% for a full bar, and since theres other oils im sure it can be dropped lower

Super fat at 30% is really high especially with the recipe that you mentioned. With all of the unsaponified oils in that recipe I would be afaird of DOS or of the bars being really soft at the very least. The only recipe I have even come close to 30% is a salt bar with mostly CO.

Sorry I didn't notice that you are talking about a 60% CO....... not enough coffee :) Maybe it will be okay with 30% super fat :) But you defiantly don't want a laundry bar with that high super fat....... too many lose oils floating around in your washing machine...

Last edited:
I am new at soap making and so far have made a 100% olive oil bar, and a 50:50 OO and lard bar. Now I want tomake something with OO, coconut and almond. I have eczema and I m keen it shouldn't be drying. Can anyone suggest a recipe? Thank you.
This is from a soaper site online and is a fantastic mild soap.
Canola 40%, OO 40%, 11% Coconut, 9% palm oil. I had this in my soap bowl for over a year with no DOS. It is a very milk soap with a factor of 8 cleansing & condition 75.

Us a soap calculator to assist like the one on www.soapcalc.net. Your recipe will deliver a very soaft bar of soap
# √ Oil/Fat % Pounds Grams
1 Coconut Oil, 76 deg 40 200
2 Almond Oil, sweet 50 250
3 Olive Oil pomace 10 50
Totals 100 500
Soap Bar Quality Suggested Range Your Recipe
Hardness 29 - 54 37
Cleansing 12 - 22 27
Conditioning 44 - 69 57
Bubbly 14 - 46 27
Creamy 16 - 48 10

Back