I think I made a mistake

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirving

Reaction score
I made my first batch today. I read and read before I tried it. I collected a few different recipes and most contradicted each other as far as tempuratures and how long to let the soap sit.

I think I messed up because the recipe I was reading stated to let the soap sit for an hour before slicing. The other recipes stated wait 24 hours before slicing.

I sliced it in one hour. How bad is that? And also many recipes say wrap your soap in a blanket. So thats what I did.....literally its sliced into squares and wrapped in layers in a blanket. Now its getting really HOT. I'm afraid it going to catch fire. Is that possible? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Sheila

Good luck

I am no expert and I suggest you await more difintative replies from those that are ,but I would say your soap will be just fine.
The blanket isn't touching the soap is it?Like as in a shoe box or plastic container under that blanket.
It is amazing how soap survives despite US sometimes.
Good luck.
:shock:

sounds like you are a bit mixed up. if you are making CP soap (lye + oils, poured into mold while still liquid) then you need to let it turn into soap before cutting. saponification typically takes 6-18 hour. oh and then let it cool before unmolding and cutting.

if you made a loaf of MP soap then you can cut it when it's room temp, but an extra hour is a good idea.

sounds like you cut yours before it was truly and completely "soap" and it's heating up is actually the result of the chemical reaction that creates the soak - aka "gel". it's not going to catch fire - it gets up to may 170 or 180F max.

did you read millersoap.com? it seems to me you would be better off gaining an understanding of the soaping process before soaping rather than trying to follow recipes.

for now, take a layer or two of blankets off and leave it alone until it finishes gelling and cools to room temp.

It sounds like you cut the soap into bars right away and wrapped the BARS in blankets???

You're supposed to wrap the MOLD with the soap in it, in blankets. :) You shouldn't cut CP until atleast 12 hours or so. Most people will say wait 24 hours I think, but I have done it as early as 8 hours after pouring it and it has been firm enough to cut.

I don't even know how you were able to cut your soap after just an hour.... I'd think it would be a big runny mess! I have never seen soap set in an hour.

Sheila,

Were you making salt bars? If you were making salt bars, you would cut as soon as the soap was cool enough to handle, which is about an hour.

If you are making regular cold process soap without salt, some wrap the soap logs in a blanket to help retain the heat in the mold so the soap can go through its gel stage.

Latest posts

Back