Body Powders?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squigglz

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have a bunch of old containers from my facial powder-they're the sort for loose powder, with holes at the top and it comes with a little puff. I have arrowroot powder, and have been considering making small amounts of scented body powder to use instead of perfumes or lotions for the winter (I'm very active and do most of my sports in the winter, so lotions tend to make me sweatier/greasier/overall not-feeling-too-clean. But dangit, I wanna smell nice!).

Are there any fragrances or EO's I absolutely should NOT use in a topical powder? And what is the usage rate? If I recall correctly (and I might not be), the recipe calls for pretty much just the powder and the FO. Am I missing anything, or am I good to go?

Thanks!

I would think if they are soap safe they should be good to go.............interesting question on the ratio as the powder sits on the skin unlike soap that we wash away...............Sorry I am not a help here but will be interested to see what replies you get. I would love to make talc one day :)

I've reason to think mixing small amounts of ingredients like that in a body powder can be tricky. That reason was the accident in France that led to the withdrawal of hexachlorophene as an active ingredient of toiletries. It got into some baby powder at 10X normal concentration and led to deaths and injuries, while previously the toxic potential of hexachlorophene had not been appreciated. I've never heard an explanation of how it went wrong other than "manufacturing mistake" or some such. I don't know whether it was a mistake in calculating a concentration when an ingredient was adsorbed onto the surface of powder grains rather than being mixed internally to it as a solid, or whether there was some problem in the mixing that resulted in a nonuniform product, or what, but I've been wary ever since.

Well, I've found this recipe here that seems fairly straightforward. Might give that a shot. I'm not making it to sell, just making it for me, so I can pretty much control every aspect of making it (and I am VERY fussy and careful with ingredient amounts), so I should be good.

Thank you for the comments, y'all :)

I like to use a mixture of arrowroot, baking soda, tapioca starch and modified tapioca starch (NatraSorb) with a touch of coconut oil. I add my EOs (Rosemary and Peppermint are my favs) and the coconut oil to the NatraSorb. I also like scraping a vanilla bean and letting it sit in the NatraSorb for about a month first. Then I mix everything together with a sifter and let it sit for a few days, to 'marry'. I find clay is too drying and makes my fat rolls cling together:D

That's the same recipe I'm going to use. I'm cutting the baking soda way back because it has a tendency to cause some people to rash. I found a powder shaker at NDA and ordered a couple to try. I'd selll them along with a powder puff. Think they will sell good at Christmas shows.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Soap Making mobile app

Latest posts

Back