My First House!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniej

Reaction score
My GF (wife to be) and me recently bought our first home. 1200 square feet of living space, a big 1 car garage and a basement. For a week after closing it was/is non-stop cleaning, painting and minor repairs. Now with all the big stuff done, I've been focusing on getting my soapworks up and running.

First order of business was to tear down all the wood paneling in the basement, clean the walls and paint everything white. Next is to run new electircal outlets and plumbing followed by ventilation and a dehumidifier.

Now that I have my own place where I can set everything up without worrying about landlords, I look forward to both cranking out a lot of soap as well as doing some higher level research.

Wish me luck :D

CONGRATS!! That is so exciting and I'm super happy for you! A place of your own...to do what you want! Wahoo!

Post pics if you get a chance!

Congrats.

Isn't that funny; the 1st step in any remodel is "remove paneling."

Tabitha said:
Isn't that funny; the 1st step in any remodel is "remove paneling."

Paneling (and wallpaper) have to go!

I especially don't like it in my shop space, it looks dirty, dark and unprofessional. The painted cement walls look much better and it's amazing how much brighter it makes the place!

I'll post pics after I get everything cleaned up, we're still moving in so it's a mess!

Congrats on the new house purchase, may you live many happy moments there!

One question: couldn't you just paint the panelling? removing it will be a much bigger job, and you may find things underneath that require more work than you anticipated. I know this from experience.

anyhow, whatever you decide to do....enjoy the process!

Sure, I could have painted the paneling but I want a very clean work space. Who knows what might have been living behing the paneling? I also didn't like the idea of it holding moisture or fragrances from the soap making.

Luckily it's all down now and there were no surprises. Painting the concrete and cinder block walls however was nearly impossible! All the little nooks and crannies were impossible to get paint into!

BTW, today I started moving my soapmaking stuff in. Tomorrow I finish wiring an outlet where I need it and then I can get started!

This is great news for you Donnie.
Can't wait to see what you create in there, and what "research" you are into. A lot of what you come up with I don't understand fully but I enjoy reading it and learning from it very much nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back