~*~ SMF July 2017 Challenge - Mermaid Tail Soaps! ~*~
~ July 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > What soapy mistake have you made today?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #441
Complexions

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a soap volcano today and it wasn't even close to salvageable

Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #442
jewels621
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 310 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexions View Post
Ooooh.....I hope you're okay.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #443
penelopejane

Liked 1488 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 2228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexions View Post
I don't want to hit like on this post. I hope you are ok and that you managed to clean up the mess. Did you work out what went wrong? If so - don't do that again!!

Unfortunately, with soap making, this is not the easiest advice to follow...
jewels621 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2017, 05:40 AM   #444
Wyredgirl

Liked 84 Times on 29 Posts

I was a moron and completely forgot to put on rubber gloves to clean my soaping dishes (I clean them day of, then dishwasher in my soap shop) I now have very minor irritation beneath my fingernails. Not horrible but enough to remind me not to do it again!!

Old 07-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #445
ilovebathing
RiceFaceSoapery

Liked 21 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Shampoo bar gone bad

I wanted to use Neem Oil and also an egg for my experimental batch of Shampoo Bar. Luckily, I only made 18 oz worth of oil versus a 32 oz. Not sure what went wrong with the recipe, but it was super soft on some spots. The in the pot swirl design looked odd, white polka dottish and transparent spots on some. I wanted a yellow gold/white swirls, but it was not what I envisioned. I used
5% Castor
10%Cocoa butter
10% coconut Oil
2% Jojoba
5% Neem
26% Olive
10% Palm Kernel Oil
20% Sunflower HO
2% Stearic Acid
10% SheA Butter
colorants Annato, TD, EO Tea Tree, Sweet ORange, and Rosemary
Vitamin E 4 drops

Perhaps it was the sulfur from the eggs, or I checked out my Coconut Oil and it was yellow (gone rancid?) It was Nutiva brand that I got at costco.

So if anyone here can suggest what to do next, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

thanks all!

Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #446
penelopejane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebathing View Post
I wanted to use Neem Oil and also an egg for my experimental batch of Shampoo Bar.

So if anyone here can suggest what to do next, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

thanks all!
I'd start a new thread for this as not everyone looks in this thread but lost of people use neem.

But I wouldn't use coconut oil unless it was pure white and smelt good. Once it starts to go boy does it go fast and stink!
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 07-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #447
ilovebathing
RiceFaceSoapery

Liked 21 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks Penelope Jane! I will repost it somewhere, not sure where but I will so I can get a better idea what went wrong. There was no smell, it was just the weirdest CO I have ever purchased.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #448
penelopejane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebathing View Post
Thanks Penelope Jane! I will repost it somewhere, not sure where but I will so I can get a better idea what went wrong. There was no smell, it was just the weirdest CO I have ever purchased.
Post in the lye based soap forum section.
Include water amount and NaOH too.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 AM   #449
Traumabrew

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I tried my hand at soap cupcakes today. Going simple, pink cakes with purple frosting. I used my basic recipe which is OO 30%, Co 30%, PO 30%, castor oil 5%, shea butter 5%. Used a fragrance I never used before, baked cookie.

Everything went well. I added the FO to the whole batch after light trace then whisked in. I noticed the oil got a dark yellow color with a orange hue after adding the FO. I split the batch and added my pink mica then stick blended to thicken it up which is when I noted the batter accelerate and didnt need the stick blender.

I poured into my cupcake mold, then went to the remaining batter for the icing and it was at thick trace before adding the color. I added the color and mixed it in and then I noticed my purple turned to a dark brownish purple. I added a lot more purple mica and it really didnt help.

I then spooned the batter into my piping bag and tried to pipe the soap batter icing (Ive never done that before) and ended up squirting the batter out the back end making a mess. Then I figured it out and tried to pipe the soap and making a nice spiral is really hard.

In the end, my cupcakes look like they have a pile of a certain brown popular emoji on top but not as pretty as said emoji.

I told my daughters they will have these soaps to use. LOL

Millie Likes This