Hair Mask

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
For the first time in a long time I have an actual weekend and don't feel completely dead - hoping for a pampering kind of day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some sort of emulsified hair mask? Without being at home (at the moment), I'm thinking a mix of coconut, argon, and hazelnut with the appropriate amount of Ewax. Is there anything a hair mask might "need" or give it that "special something" for frizzy, vaguely curly hair?

I have read that eggs, avocado, yogurt and honey are all good for damaged hair. Not all together, necessarily, but as part of a formula. I have also read that coconut milk is another good good one for moisturizing and conditioning the hair.

I've used eggs and yogurt in the past, but not honey as I don't think I'd like to have to wash it out and don't like the ideas of bees buzzing around my head. I prefer avocado on my face, if it ever doesn't end up in my stomach, that's where it goes. :)

I remember the first time I made a hair mask several years ago that among other included a mashed banana... Never gain will I put veggies in my hair! I had small banana lumps in my hair for days! I imagine if you decide to use eggs in your mask, make sure to remove the membranes since they might not want to be washed out either.

Also castor oil should be good for hair too~

I like jojoba for hair. I'd also suggest 1-2% btms-25 or -50 for some conditioning; use it along with your ewax. I like 25 better as it doesn't contain the humectant (which my curly frizzy hair doesn't like).

I have read that eggs, avocado, yogurt and honey are all good for damaged hair. Not all together, necessarily, but as part of a formula. I have also read that coconut milk is another good good one for moisturizing and conditioning the hair.

I've used eggs and yogurt in the past, but not honey as I don't think I'd like to have to wash it out and don't like the ideas of bees buzzing around my head. I prefer avocado on my face, if it ever doesn't end up in my stomach, that's where it goes. :)

There's a salon in Philadelphia that was famous for their hair caramel. the dupe recipes called for honey. I've made the caramel a few times and I must say, it is easier to wash out than you would think.

I don't know if it's too late now but wouldn't swiftcraftymonkey's conditioner recipes be a good starting point for a hair mask?

I don't know if it's too late now but wouldn't swiftcraftymonkey's conditioner recipes be a good starting point for a hair mask?

I have looked at them. The only problem is that Susan starts with a fully stocked science lab of ingredients that I don't have. There's always something new whenever I search her site, maybe the next time I look I'll find the hidden gem that uses ingredients I actually have.

According to mine personal experience you can use GNatural Coconut Milk and Honey Leave In Conditioner Spray. I am already using this product for and my hairs become more strong. You can order this product from Amazon GNatural Herbal Products Store.

...problem is that Susan starts with a fully stocked science lab of ingredients that I don't have.
^^^^^ LOL I hear ya! Me too! :cry: Thanks for posting that!

For those who remember Doris Day, she used mayonnaise straight from the jar to condition her hair overnight, using a shower cap to protect her bed linens. Of course, as a super fan, I had to try it! I can't say if it worked well or not. All I remember is that it took forever to shampoo the stuff out. I smelled like a salad for days! YUCK!

SHORT STORY: I once walked in on one of my soaping buddies here in Colorado. She was whipping up a batch of Hair Butter. It smelled wonderful! She gave me a bit to take home and try. My hair never felt so nourished and healthy! I never got around to asking for her recipe. Dumb, dumb, dumb. :cry:

The Natural Beauty Workshop has a hair butter recipe. Here's a link:

http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com/my_weblog/

Some of the oils used are ones I've never heard of but you could sub those with oils recommended for hair from the list at this link:

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/idascorner/ingredients/base-oils/

Last edited:
For those who remember Doris Day, she used mayonnaise straight from the jar to condition her hair overnight, using a shower cap to protect her bed linens. Of course, as a super fan, I had to try it! I can't say if it worked well or not. All I remember is that it took forever to shampoo the stuff out. I smelled like a salad for days! YUCK!

I have heard of the mayo suggestion (and have seen some Doris Day movies). At it's base mayonnaise is just an emulsion of egg and oil, both are common in hair mask recipes. My husband and I don't eat mayo but somehow have three jars of it in the fridge, it's an idea for when I next plan to wash my hair.

Latest posts

Back